    I have the RAID array to be first bootable disk.

    Any ideas on how to get the system to see the RAID array first?

    Thanks

    Peter Geddes, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Peter Geddes

    lkboop Guest

    If all you want is the "system " to see the RAID array first change it
    in the BIOS. Not a problem. Unless I misunderstand your question, I
    guess my question to you is how do you get your system to boot if it
    doesn't see the RAID first. I suppose you could boot from another drive
    and use your RAID for data. Unless we are talking a server, using the
    RAID array solely for data storage is really dumb.

    lkboop, Mar 7, 2007

  3. Peter Geddes

    Peter Geddes Guest

    The drive on it's own is for backing up partitions on the RAID array using
    Norton Ghost.

    I'd like the DOS programs to see the RAID array first then the single drive.

    When I first installed the drives, I used Acronis Disk Director to partition
    the drives. I installed WindowsXP and then connected the single drive up to
    get the drive letter for it, in this case L:

    Had I installed XP with the single drive attached it would have got the
    drive letter D:

    If I can get the DOS software to see the RAID array first I think things
    would be a lot easier in future, especially if I need to reinstall XP or
    maybe Vista in future.

    I hope that this isn't messing about with the MBR.

    Peter Geddes, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Peter Geddes

    lkboop Guest

    Now I got what you're saying. You have two drives set active some how
    i.e. your RAID array (considered as on drive) and the other "one is on
    it's own". For some reason that I don't fully understand Windows and
    apparently Ghost default to the single drive as opposed to the array
    when both are set as active.

    I had the same problem i.e. somehow, and I'm sure I had something to do
    with it, my second HD the primary partition was set active. I didn't
    even know it till I went to do a clean install of Windows XP and Windows
    kept wanting to install itself on my D:\ drive. What I ending up doing
    was pulling the IDE cable on the D:\ so Windows only saw my C:\ drive.

    I later fixed it properly with Power Max and then all was fine i.e.
    reformatted my D:\ using the Maxtor HD installation utility, and
    partitioning it as extra storage space.

    lkboop, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Peter Geddes

    Peter Geddes Guest

    The only way I could get Vista to install was with the single disk (not
    RAIDed) disconnected. It still made the XP partition D: but this is a bit
    inconvenient as this pushed my other partition drive letters up. I've got
    used to the drive letters as they are with XP. That is why I want to hide
    the XP partition in Vista so that they do stay the same.

    I haven't come across a Boot Manager compatible with Vista and allows
    partition hiding yet!

    I might try the PowerMAX thing you suggested, even though it's an Hitachi
    drive. It should still work with it though?

    Thanks again

    Peter Geddes, Mar 9, 2007