    on my old 8MB SiS 6326 card which says "video mode not supported".
    Dunno whats the reason..Someone got an idea?

    -poor helpless dude :(

    wally, Mar 15, 2005

  2. wally

    Spack Guest

    At a guess I'd say it's due to the TNT2 not having T&L (transform and
    lighting). Many modern (ie last few years) games require this on a video
    card. You'd need at least a Geforce card for T&L support, even an old
    Geforce 256 might manage to run them.

    Dan

    Spack, Mar 15, 2005

  3. wally

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Game requirements for "Prisoner of War":

    http://www.codemasters.com/support/requirements.php?gameid=757

    It looks like it needs a card that supports DirectX 8.1 in hardware, which
    is at least a Geforce card.

    "Rise of Nations" has system requirements:

    http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofnations/features.asp#sysreqs

    It also lists an STB Velocity 4400 card as being able to run the game:

    http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofnations/support_videocards.asp

    The 4400 is (I think) a TNT1 card, so the TNT2 should be at least as
    capable. (A TNT2 64 has 64 bit path to video memory rather than the 128 bit
    path for a regular TNT2, but that should only affect its performance, not
    its features.) It seems like the card should work, but you may need to
    update its drivers (www.nvidia.com).

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden, Mar 16, 2005

  4. This card should work. The requirments for Prisoner of War do
    say a DirectX 8.1 compatable card, but the lowest videocard mentioned
    as being supported is a Voodoo 3, which doesn't even have T&L hardware
    much less pixel shader support like DX 8.1 hardware does.
    I found that when using WinME, and older with any videocards
    these days seems to be unstable. I'm not sure if it is newer driver
    sets for these old OSes that are the blame, or the newer DirectX 9. I
    was using Win98SE with my GF4 Ti4400 up until when DirectX 9 came out.
    I also always used the newest official Nvidia drivers as well. My
    system always ran solid, but then I started geting random game crashes
    that would corrupt the whole system. Didn't matter if it was a new, or
    old game.
    After many full formats, and fresh reinstalls of everything, I
    moved to Win2k, and all the crashing stopped. I since moved to WinXP
    Pro, and haven't had anything major happen. I also am still using the
    same hardware I was when I was using Win98SE, and still use the latest
    offcial Nvidia drivers. I also had an old TnT2 M64 32MB that I gave to
    a friend of mine who still had an old ATI 8MB AGP. I just formatted
    her HDD, and installed WinXP Pro on her system with the latest DirectX
    9c, an the Nvidia 66.93 drivers. The TnT2 M64 ran fine, although slow,
    with the games she wanted to play (some required DX 8.1 cards as
    well).
    Try uninstalling the driver for the card from the uninstall
    menu, then run a pogram like Driver Cleaner to remove all instances of
    any videocard drivers. Then reinstall the Nvidia drivers, and see if
    that helps.

    Larry Roberts, Mar 16, 2005
  5. wally

    Spack Guest

    It's possible for the Voodoo it has Glide support to get around the T&L
    requirement. For the nVidia range it doesn't mention the TNT cards, just
    Geforce256, GF2 and higher.

    Dan

    Spack, Mar 16, 2005