Nvidia says Playstation3 GPU is slightly less powerful than GeForce 7800

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Nvidia is now saying that Playstation3's GPU (call RSX) is slightly LESS
    powerful than the GeForce 7800 GPU for PCs.

    sources:
    http://theinq.com/?article=25838
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/
    http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4958

    Direct quote from the latest PSM, an Nvidia spokesman is quoted with: "The
    GeForce 7800 is almost identical to the RSX, the rsx is only slightly less
    powerful."

    this is just the opposite of what Nvidia was saying a few months ago.
    Nvidia had previously stated that the RSX for PS3 was going to be more
    powerful than GeForce 7800.

    RSX is supposed to be clocked at 550 MHz whereas the GeForce 7800 GTX is
    (without overclocking) around 430 MHz.

    so the question is: what is it about GeForce 7800 *architecture* (not
    clock frequency) that makes it slightly more powerful than RSX, if what
    Nvidia now says is the truth ?

    does it stem from the memory bus width and bandwidth?

    GeForce 7800: 256-bit - 38.4 GB/sec
    RSX: 128-bit - 22.4 GB/sec

    thats all I can think of. unless RSX has some of its pipelines disabled
    and therefore less active pipes than GF7800.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2005

  2. It's labeled RSX for a reason. Sony has already stated that the Cell
    chip will help the RSX in graphics rendering performance. I assume, bet
    money even, that the RSX is much like the GS of the PS2 so it does more
    rasterizing work while Cell is capable of sending it display lists.

    Just look at God of War on PS2.
    There is no way in hell the GS of the PS2 could do that alone.

    Hell, the GS of the PS2 has no pixel shaders yet games like Shadow of
    the Collosus use HDR lighting.

    KillzoneBigNuts2, Aug 31, 2005

  3. PS2 2,560 bit.. yeah, 2,560

    KillzoneBigNuts2, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    carl0s Guest

    Actually if you read the original discussion where this 'news' was posted,
    it seems the original poster was making the statement up.

    carl0s, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    First of One Guest

    Does it really matter? Look at current PC benchmarks comparing the Geforce
    7800 against the 6800GT/Ultra. Meaningful differences only appear above
    1600x1200. Many sites have started testing at 2048x1536 just to prove a
    point. A PS3 will never have to do such resolutions.

    Keep in mind all this is just speculating on *theoretical* hardware
    horsepower. Most developers have no idea how to take advantage of
    multi-core/multi-chip setups.

    First of One, Aug 31, 2005
  6. Guest

    Bill Cable Guest