    Any advice MOST welcome.

    Tanx
    Tony

    Tony G, Dec 20, 2007

  2. Tony G

    Don Burnette Guest

    EVGA, has just released the new 780i on Monday, which is Nvidia based board,
    supports both dual and tri sli.
    Also supports the new 45nm quads coming out sometime in 08.

    I have been running their 680i since Feb, and have been pretty happy with
    it.

    I ordered one yesterday morning from NewEgg, but I see they are sold out
    now.

    I really like EVGA, they have very good support.

    Good luck in your search,

    Don Burnette, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Tony G

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    For the least amount of potential problems and greatest available
    headroom for future usage, combine the latest Intel CPU with the latest
    Intel Mobo.

    Mind you, I am a fervent nvidia supporter, but unless you are going to
    use SLI not just "hoping someday you may", the current Intel chipsets
    are superior in most measures.

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Tony G

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Tony G' wrote:
    | I am in the market to buy a new Quad CPU and a motherboard and was
    | looking at a SLI board with a couple of nVidia graphics cards.
    |
    | When shopping around I found that many of the new boards with multiple
    | PCI-e slots are for Crossfire Technology and ATI graphics cards and
    | AMD processors.
    |
    | I am interested in sticking with nVidia and Intel CPUs but an getting
    | confused over the new trend.
    | Any advice MOST welcome.
    _____

    nVidia makes chipsets that support SLI operation. A number of motherboard
    manufacturers produce boards that use the nVidia 600 series chipsets (650i,
    680i LT, 680i SLI) for Intel Core 2 processors. I am pleased with my EVGA
    680i SLI motherboard, running since March 2007 with an Intel E4300 @ 2.7 GHz
    (50% overclock) and a lower than specified core voltage. As 'Don Burnette'
    posted EVGA has just come out with a 780i chipset for Intel CPUs and that
    will support three x16 PCI-e cards in SLI (the 680i has three physical x16
    slots, but two of these are electrically x16 and support SLI, and the third
    is electrically x8 and is touted as a slot for a physics processor card.)

    Since the Core 2 45 nm shrink will be available early in 2008, you probably
    ought to consider timing your purchases to at least get a motherboard that
    will support the 45 nm CPUs (though it may very well be that the current
    680i SLI chipset motherboards will also support the 45 nm CPUs.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Dec 20, 2007
  5. Tony G

    WyleCoyote Guest

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 06:24:34 -0600, "Don Burnette"

    Stay away from Asus ...... terrible in every respect.
    I don't know how they stay in business. I'll never
    buy anything from that POS outfit again.

    WyleCoyote, Dec 20, 2007
  6. Tony G

    Don Burnette Guest

    Interesting you say that, when I placed my order yesterday for the new EVGA
    780i, I had a new Asus P5E board still in the box here by my desk, decided
    to stick with EVGA for now.

    Don Burnette, Dec 20, 2007
  7. Tony G

    Don Burnette Guest

    As I understand it, at least with the new 45nm quads coming out, the 680i
    will not support them. Originally the board was designed to support them,
    but apparently somewhere along the way Intel made some changes to the
    circuitry on the chip, now they won't.
    The 780i will however, as well as the Intel X38 chipset boards I believe.

    Don Burnette, Dec 20, 2007
  8. Tony G

    Guest Guest

    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

    Thank you.

    Guest, Dec 20, 2007
  9. Tony G

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    You mean those people claiming eVGA is superior to ASUS?

    Anyone who has any familiarity with the business knows that ASUS is a
    leading Taiwanese manufacturer/VAR born from ACER (yes they actually
    make things) and eVGA is just a VAR/rebrander.

    The two companies are not comparable, ASUS is by far the more stable and
    mature business and combined with GIGABYTE (and MSI) they make tens of
    millions of motherboards.

    What does eVGA do expect buy stickers to place on cards and mess with
    reference card BIOSes, typically damaging them in the process?

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 21, 2007
  10. Tony G

    GMAN Guest

    WTF?, they are one of the best MB manufacturers on the planet.

    GMAN, Dec 21, 2007
  11. Tony G

    Ed Medlin Guest

    LOL.....Interesting Don....... I have a brand new Asus P5N32-E SLI sitting
    here and will probably get an E6600 or something....... Wish I had a 780i
    board because that would probably put me over the hump and make me get a
    45nm QX 9xxx.

    Ed Medlin, Dec 21, 2007
  12. Tony G

    WyleCoyote Guest

    I purchased a Striker Extreme and if there is any question about the
    problems with Asus coupling with an Nvivia chipset 680i that is simply
    a miserable chipset enginering job job check out the Asus forum,
    particularly for a premium priced monterboard.

    Problems are a reflection of a motherboard company whose engineering
    and mfg. standards are non-existant and there is 0 customer support.
    Check it out for yourself ... don't listen to the Asus shills on here.
    Most are clueless.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Striker+Extreme&SLanguage=en-us

    Then check out the petition to fix the fucking chipset

    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nVidia680i/signatures-1.html

    Cheers ......

    WyleCoyote, Dec 22, 2007
  13. Tony G

    First of One Guest

    As we all know, most forums tend to be filled with complaints, because the
    users with good experiences don't bother posting. Better to look at Newegg
    user reviews, the closest thing to real statistics.

    Percentage of Newegg customers that gave the product 4 or 5 stars:

    nVidia 680i / 680i LT boards:

    ASUS Striker Extreme: 71%
    ASUS P5N32-E 68%
    MSI P6N Diamond 83%
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX 61%
    EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 74%

    Intel X38 boards:

    ASUS P5E 92%
    ABIT IX38 Quad GT 84%
    Foxconn X38A 82%
    Intel BOXDX38BT 72%
    GIGABYTE GA-X38T-DQ6 80%
    ASUS P5E3 Deluxe 70%

    In terms of customer satisfaction Asus isn't doing significantly better or
    worse than the other brands, including Intel-branded ones. The nVidia 680i
    chipset isn't significantly worse than the Intel X38 chipset, either.

    First of One, Dec 23, 2007
  14. Tony G

    WyleCoyote Guest

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:12:13 -0500, "First of One" <[email protected]>

    A OK ...... anyone who wants to shoot crap .... be my guest.

    WyleCoyote, Dec 28, 2007
  15. Tony G

    First of One Guest

    You didn't, by any chance, let John Lewis talk you into getting that Striker
    Extreme, did you? :)

    First of One, Dec 28, 2007
  16. Tony G

    no Guest

    SLI, was and remains, a mindless, stupid, exercise in greed.

    no, Dec 29, 2007
  17. Tony G

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Oh my! Does crossfire also get that same disparagement? Did the Voodoo2
    SLI feature ruffle those self-same feathers back in the day?

    SLI isn't perfect by any measure, but oftentimes at very high
    resolutions it has advantages, such as with 30" (even 24") displays.

    Oblivion, the least "greedy" game around looks magnificent on a 30"
    display with 2 8800GTs, and it would only run acceptably with 2 GeForce
    7 cards on that same display as early as last year.

    Sometimes you can get 2 cards for less than the price of one, with
    superior performance in some games, does that make the single card
    solution more or less greedy?

    But I understand your thinking...

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 29, 2007
  18. Tony G

    First of One Guest

    There are more expensive habits out there.

    First of One, Dec 29, 2007