NVidia Tune tool does not support A8N32-SLIi (yet?) and freezes up computer.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Nov 11, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I read about, downloaded and tried the NVidia Tune tool but it does not
    support the Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard and the tool completely freezes up
    the computer when I run it. (Windows XP Pro x64 edition)

    It would be nice if the tool worked or any other tool for that matter.

    I want to be able to play with the fans of my computer. I would like to set
    their speeds manually and ofcourse monitor temperature as well, if
    temperatures get to hot, the fans should start spinning faster though to
    prevent damage ;)

    To be more specific I would like to set the speeds for:

    1. The Fan of the Seasonic S12 power supply if possible.
    2. The Rare Case fan.
    3. The CPU Fan.

    The GTX 7900 graphics cards seem to be pretty quiet and are working well so
    no issue's there it seems.

    Additional case fan's for harddisks which are connected to the power supply
    don't seem to be much of an issue as well.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 11, 2006

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Not used one but I doubt the p/s speed is user adjustable. You might be able
    to put an inline adjuster or swap the fan itself but really I thought the
    Seasonic is designed as a quiet supply anyway.

    ..
    Chasis fan 1? mines a glacial tech makes zero noise and spins at 980-1000
    rpm under qfan control.
    Mines a stock x2 4200 quiet at around 2500 rpm but becomes noisy at about
    4500 best thing to do might be swap it for something better than the stock
    one.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Yeah yeah yeah.

    I still want the damn tool to work ok !

    God damn.

    If there is one fucking thing hate it's freezing applications which take
    down the whole fucking operating system and computer.

    DOH

    So typical, it was (mentioned) on a dutch site, which makes it extra
    annoying :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Well do yourself a favour and DITCH the useless non supported windows 64 bit
    edition

    Craig Sutton, Nov 11, 2006
  5. Skybuck Flying

    Craig Sutton Guest

    You could check out amd cool n quiet and this ultimate control for it
    http://winhlp.com/rmclock.htm

    Craig Sutton, Nov 11, 2006
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Don Guest

    Why not write your own then you foul mouthed fool?

    Don

    Don, Nov 11, 2006
  7. DOH
    Sorry dude,

    I have a policy:

    I do not run software which could damage the computer.

    I am only a human, it's predictable that I will **** up and make a wrong
    setting and pooooooffff computer gone ;)

    Not gonna do it :D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 11, 2006
  8. Lol, that sounds like a fucking Linux-fan reaction.

    GO F*CK/FAN YOURSELF =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 11, 2006
  9. Skybuck Flying

    Mitch Crane Guest

    God forbid you should unplug a fan while rummaging around tightening
    cables.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 11, 2006
  10. That's not dangerous at all.

    Static electricity danger could be real.

    I have stopped the cpu fan and rare case fan, no problem at all for short
    periods =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 11, 2006
  11. Skybuck Flying

    Mitch Crane Guest

    You could lose a finger in the process. The lost fingertip could fly
    into your eye causing severe corneal damage, not to mention the
    possibility of a fatal infection. The shock of all this happening could
    cause you to violently retreat from the case which could do all kinds
    of damage to the PC, you and your home. It's really not worth the risk.

    Mitch Crane, Nov 11, 2006
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Strickng your tongue in it accidently doesn't count..

    Craig Sutton, Nov 12, 2006
  13. Skybuck Flying

    Minh Tran-Le Guest

    The latest version of nTune 5.05.18.00 does work on an A8N32-SLI if you
    update the motherboard bios to the latest from ASUS v1303. Disclaimer: I
    have only tried it with the standard 32bit version of WinXP Pro.

    Also to do fan control I usually prefer to use speedfan.

    Minh Tran-Le, Nov 12, 2006
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Don Guest

    No. but sticking his tongue into psu sounds good to me.

    Don, Nov 12, 2006
  15. I tried speedfan, I tried changing fan speeds... but they just kept spinning
    at their usual speeds ???

    Confusing tool ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 12, 2006
  16. Skybuck Flying

    Minh Tran-Le Guest

    Well, in the documentation of the A8N32-SLI motherboard, ASUS says that
    on the CPU fan and the Chassis fan 1 can be controlled by Q-Fan, which
    says to me that the voltage regulator cannot be software controlled for
    all the other fan headers.

    Minh Tran-Le, Nov 13, 2006
  17. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Guest

    On my A8N-E I had to set PWM 1 to software control to get Speed 1 to
    control the CPU fan header.
    http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2176/speedfan2vv8.png

    Ed

    Ed, Nov 13, 2006
  18. Skybuck Flying

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Nov 13, 2006
  19. Indeed, apperently Smart Guardian prevents modification of fan speeds.

    I set it to Software Controlled and then it was possible to plan with the
    fan speeds.

    It was kinda cool to see the rare case fan stop. Fortunately for me my case
    is easily opened so inspecting it was no problem.

    However when I tried to switch back from Software Controlled to Smart
    Guardian, the rare case refused to spin up as well as the cpu fan.

    That was kinda scary so I switch it back to Software Controlled etc.

    I also rebooted while both fans were off or something.. that was kinda
    scary. After reboot both spinning again...

    I do wonder with fan divisor means in that screenshot... these values where
    also changed by speedfan.

    So I manually set back all the values... and finally I used asus probe II to
    disable and reenable q-fan control... i think that fixed it... both fans
    spinning again under smart guardian and q-fan control.

    I wanted to change the speed of the power fan. However as you already
    mentioned this is not possible.

    Asus motherboard/bios does not allow or support the power fan header.

    I could switch both fan connectors... but is that smart ?

    I wonder what would happen to both fans.

    Currently the power fan is spinning at 760 RPM and case fan at 1205 rpm.

    I wonder if the rare case fan would start spinning at 760 RPM instead.

    I also wonder if the power fan is controlled by the seasonic s12 powersupply
    itself.

    I also smelled a burning smell.. but that's probably from the cars outside
    ;) :) or maybe it s me :D hahaha.

    Well my finally conclusion is that speedfan is quite a dangerous program as
    well.

    So I am done experimenting with it for now and the bottom line is that I
    can't change the power fan speed ?!?!?

    This is one hard-to-follow-wacky-story, but that's the way it is.

    Oh well.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 13, 2006
  20. Yup, I was in a hurry too... because the case was vibrating and making
    stupid noise.

    Now that the case is closed again the vibrating sound is gone... such a
    relief =D hihihihi.

    And ofcourse I have other things to do as well like play games lol and visit
    my mother :p* ;) hehe

    Thanks for the help though...

    At least I got to see speedfan in action ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Nov 13, 2006