    the very low dollar at the moment I'm looking to get some bargains.

    TIA
    Homer.

    Homer, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Homer

    NewUser001 Guest

    :(

    NewUser001, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Homer

    rstlne Guest

    Most dealers will to be honest.. Try to stick away from the huge companys as
    they can be hard to reach. If the option is there then go for us/royal mail
    instead of UPS and dont forget that your due to vat/import duty back on
    imported goods and their shipping.. Remember too that software imports CAN
    be except on import duties..
    I couldnt find the current vat price..

    Gifts are exempt from tax if their value is less than 36£.. but a gift has
    to come from a private person (just thought I would say that)

    rstlne, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Homer

    Clive Guest

    Its very tempting but I'd forget it unless you can find a real cutprice
    bargin. Theres no such thing as sensible shipping charges from the US
    and it will swallow a huge amount of what you save.

    Dont forget if customs decides to inspect it they will slap on "from
    outside EU" import tax, this alone can wipe out the savings.

    Overall it will probably cost more, take much longer and be a nightmare
    if you need to return anything. Only reasons to order is if you have
    money to burn and its something you cant get hold of otherwise.

    Try looking at some european sites outside UK, you can save almost as
    much and the shipping is cheaper and you dont pay import tax.

    Clive, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Homer

    Homer Guest

    I realise the tax implications if the item is inspected by customs but I've
    ordered some small things from the US before and the majority of smaller
    things seem to get throught okay, occasionally do get charged though.
    Was comparing a Athlon 64 3200+ on neweg.com and ebuyer.com and the price
    difference with the current exchange rate is £110 ($202), even if it was
    inspected by customs and they charged me £40 that would still leave £70 to
    cover shipping. If shipping was $40 that would still leave a saving of £50.
    Can you recommend any European sites to try?

    Homer.

    Homer, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Homer

    Dave Guest

    I was charged around 40% tax on some LED bulbs I bought from the US. You'd
    better be sure of the taxes before you order.

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 10, 2004