  1. Don Bruder

    Invid Fan Guest

    There is only one :)

    Invid Fan, Apr 29, 2014

  2. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    That's simply not true. POP3 is generally huge and messy. People leave
    mail on servers, and that is ONE file. With the mail volume most people
    get, that can be several tens or hundreds of MB per day. Leave mail on
    the server for a week and you are parsing through a single file than can
    easily be half a gig.

    This is horribly inefficient.
    Nope. I've been using IMAP exclusively since 1999. Far fewer problems
    than POP. So much so that I dropped all support for POP3 in 2001.
    The snoops have already gotten it.
    No they won't, email is sent in the clear. They already have it.

    Lewis, Apr 29, 2014

  3. Don Bruder

    Your Name Guest

    Technically there are "three":

    - all Western countries bow down to America
    - all Eastern countries bow down to China
    - a few "independent" stragglers like North Korea

    ;-)

    Your Name, Apr 29, 2014
  4. Don Bruder

    Your Name Guest

    Personally I can't be bothered keeping emails, including work ones -
    once I've dealt with them, they get deleted. I've never need to go back
    to any old emails.

    Your Name, Apr 29, 2014
  5. Don Bruder

    JF Mezei Guest

    In particular, the "5 Eyes" agreement between England, Canada, USA, New
    Zealand and Australia where the "NSA" of each country agree to share
    intelligence.

    What this really means is that if the Canadian CSEC isn't allowed to spy
    on its own citizens, it asks the NSA to do the dirty work, and same
    thing for the NSA.

    They all have goals of collecting any/all information they can get their
    paws on.

    JF Mezei, Apr 29, 2014
  6. Don Bruder

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Most people?" Most people don't get anywhere near hundreds of MB per
    day in e-mails. Heck, I use e-mail as my primary communication method,
    get a hundred or so a day and unless files are attached probably don't
    hit more than a couple of MBs most days. Text takes up very little
    space.

    Tim McNamara, Apr 30, 2014
  7. Don Bruder

    JF Mezei Guest

    When I participate in large CRTC processes, such as the wireless code,
    and upcoming wholesale wireless and "Talk TV" on future of television,
    on deadline days, one can receive a fairly large amount of material via
    email from other participants (especially true for broadcasting which
    often includes more images and sometimes some short videos).

    JF Mezei, Apr 30, 2014
  8. That may be so... for a fraction of a percent of users.

    So what about IMAP for those users? In a couple of weeks they´ll have
    several gigs of data on the server. In a year that would be 26 gig.

    Btw:
    I´m not saying that IMAP is generally bad.
    I´m saying it depends on the user.
    For me POP3 is the better choice, for you it´s IMAP.
    Nothing to start a war about, just good to have alternatives.

    Bernd Fröhlich, Apr 30, 2014
  9. Don Bruder

    JF Mezei Guest

    With IMAP, you can move/drag your emails to a local folder and delete
    them from the IMAP store.

    JF Mezei, Apr 30, 2014
  10. So then you have your data fragmented between the server and local
    storage.
    I prefer to have all my mail in one place.

    Bernd Fröhlich, Apr 30, 2014
  11. Don Bruder

    JF Mezei Guest

    If your "one place" is space limited, then you need to eventually
    archive emails elsewhere.

    If you pull all your emails to your desktop via POP, they are not
    accessible to your iphone/laptop. This is why using Imap becomes
    extremely convenient when you have multiple devices accessing the same
    mailbox.

    JF Mezei, Apr 30, 2014
  12. My "one place" is my harddisk. For mail-purposes that is "unlimited".
    So what? I don´t need them to be.

    And with your previous suggestion:
    those files would also not be accessible from your iphone/laptop.
    Sure, IF you need them to be accessible on multiple devices.
    I don´t.

    Bernd Fröhlich, Apr 30, 2014
  13. Since you don't need to access your email from multiple devices, POP
    will do you just fine *IF* you're not one of those uses who uses their
    INBOX as a folder. If you file stuff away in folders after you read it
    and keep a clean INBOX, you'll gain nothing from IMAP vs POP unless you
    loose a hard drive or have a senior moment or accidentally delete
    something from your voluminous INBOX. Then you'll have to rely on your
    Time Capsule's backup to restore your email from the last snapshot.

    The huge INBOX isn't a big thing unless you're a sysadmin who has to
    deal with users like you who leave a 10K message INBOX on the servers
    /var/mail. It's read in and downloaded EVERY TIME the user logs into
    mail. With IMAP, only the headers are sent to the mail client. But
    you're protected by TimeMachine, so everything should be fine. We'll
    stop trying to convince you to switch to IMAP.

    Until your ISP decides to outsource email (like they did newgroups) and
    only offers IMAP servers. Then you'll have to find a new ISP. Apple's
    Mail does both. Newer email apps only do IMAP (e.g. Sparrow Mail and
    AirMail come to mind) because "everyone uses the Cloud".

    Michael Vilain, Apr 30, 2014
  14. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Here ya go -

    http://www.mailsteward.com

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 30, 2014
  15. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    There are other storage options.
    Encrypting mail with something like pgp does not include headers.
    Heh. As I recall, that ("metadata") is what the NSA claims they
    most like.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 30, 2014
  16. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    My quota is currently set at 4GB. I'm an extremely active email user,
    and I'm currently into about 25% of it. I believe Convergence's limit
    (MTA Apple uses, and me, too) is 10GB.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 30, 2014
  17. Don Bruder

    Howard Guest

    Same here, as IMAP. I can access, read, process my email at any location
    - and on my iPad and iphone too. Home or abroad. Also for work I keep
    all emails because projects can be ongoing and any potential legal
    action means we will be able to keep the record and either defend
    ourselves or take action ourselves.

    Howard, Apr 30, 2014
  18. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Yea. I know I'm going to have trouble getting something fixed
    when some support droid emails a note saying, "I'd really rather
    talk about this on the phone" (I'm looking at you, Sound Devices)
    instead of writing out what they intend to do to solve a problem.

    Our voice mail is also delivered as easy-to-share wave files, so
    I can say the same thing for calls that hang up instead of leaving
    a message (file names are the incoming phone number and date, heh).

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 30, 2014
  19. Don Bruder

    John Varela Guest

    It lets them build networks of who's talking to whom, to find and
    identify cells of bad guys. The courts have said, in analogy to the
    exterior of an envelope in the postal mail, that no one has an
    expectation of privacy for the name and address of sender and
    recipient.

    John Varela, Apr 30, 2014
  20. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    My POP account is set to clear e-mails 3 days after they have been
    POP'd. I haven't even looked at the limit that is offered and I only
    hazily recall the last time someone phoned to say "Your mailbox is
    full!" (sometime back in the early 90's - and that was due to a setup
    error that didn't clear them).

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014