  1. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Anything crossing the US border almost certainly does.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014

  2. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014

  3. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    We're in violent agreement.

    Ever since my first ISP account I've taken care of all my mail on my
    home computer. I POP it, it's mine and I back it up (or not), I archive
    it (or not) and that's it. It stays on the ISP server for 1 day and
    then it's deleted on that end.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  4. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    correction 1 day

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  5. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    In over 20 years of home ISP service, using POP mail, I've never had an
    issue with a lost e-mail. I archive my e-mail at home. I don't want it
    lingering on a server somewhere. And if e-mail is lost or deleted,
    getting the correspondent to re-e-mail has never been an issue.

    If I were running a business from home, that would be another matter.
    Though these days I might even look at Apple iCloud rather than an IMAP.
    I can do this with my POP account up to the number of days that I have
    it set to delete (1 day in my case). When I access "un popped" e-mail
    via the web interface (while traveling) it does not affect the "timer",
    so when I get home and access the mail, it is still there (and finally
    POPed).

    IMAP is great for businesses and some home users, POP is fine for most
    home users.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  6. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    People actually don't do that per se, but set a time period of retention
    following the first POP. Also they are limited to how much they can
    leave, so eventually they would stop receiving new e-mails if the ISP
    side were full.

    I have mine set for 1 day retention following a POP. Any issues I've
    had with POP go back to the early 90's.
    I've tried IMAP on several occasions only to find folders I don't want
    in Apple Mail and messages marked unread that have been read and so on
    (that was with Google Mail IMAP). So I pop my e-mail from Google and
    keep on popping it from my ISP.

    As usual what is excellent for you is not excellent for everyone and v-v.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  7. Don Bruder

    Your Name Guest

    That makes no difference at all and has almost nothing to do with POP
    vs IMAP.

    <snip>

    Not actually true, depending on your email application. In my
    application I can set the POP to also leave the email on the server for
    X days ... which of course makes it similar to IMAP anyway.

    Your Name, Apr 30, 2014
  8. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    As long as your email client tells the POP server to delete the message
    there (after some delay of days or so), then there is no issue with the
    inbox.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  9. Don Bruder

    Tim McNamara Guest

    This is one of the limitations of IMAP and for people who get large
    amounts of files via e-mail it can be a problem. "The cloud" in general
    presents this issue (which is one of the ways "the cloud" intends to be
    profitable: "you have filled your allocation of storage space. Would
    you like to buy more for only $xx.xx a year?" And if not, you may kiss
    goodbye to your data if you don't have a local backup (although watch
    out for iCloud, it will delete your data off of your hard drive if you
    decide not to live the Apple Way, as I found out the hard way- iCloud
    doesn't store a backup of your data, it stores your data and your apps
    get the data from there, not from your local storage).

    Tim McNamara, Apr 30, 2014
  10. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    I'm not using iCloud. I was leery of it before reading your message,
    and now I'll definitely avoid it.

    My server uses RAID storage, and it's backed up daily, and then I do
    my own daily backups, too. One can never have too many backups, heh.

    If I come close to my disk quota, I'll be notified. I could increase
    it, but what usually happens is I just archive some mail. If I really
    need something later, I can import it back into mail. Quotas here are
    to prevent any one person from taking down the entire server. But,
    they're hardly the only defense in place for that.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 1, 2014
  11. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    Sounds to me like an *EXCELLENT* reason to avoid iCloud like plague...

    Don Bruder, May 1, 2014
  12. Don Bruder

    Your Name Guest

    Data on the iCloud servers is backed up by Apple, just like any other
    server provider, but the iCloud service is not really meant to be a
    backup solution as such. It's an internet data storage solution.

    Your Name, May 1, 2014
  13. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    Thanks, but I want my data available 24/7/365, on my terms, at my whim,
    on any (or no) notice, accessed the way I want to access it, regardless
    of whether or not I happen to have a network connection active at the
    moment I decide I want to do something with it.

    Which means local storage. If, for whatever reason, I don't have my data
    on my local drives, it's utterly worthless to me under several sets of
    circumstances, no matter how well it might be backed up, stored,
    protected, etc.

    Which means that, at least for me, cloud storage is absolutely out of
    the question. (But that hasn't changed since the first time I heard of
    the concept, so... <shrug>)

    Don Bruder, May 1, 2014
  14. Don Bruder

    Your Name Guest

    Being on a dial-up connection, I'm certainly not arguing with you on
    that. I don't want to use silly cloud-based systems either. :)

    Even with broadband connections, here in New Zealand most of
    over-priced plans have silly data caps, which makes using cloud systems
    (storage or apps like Office 365) rather silly or even more expensive.

    Even using multiple computers (say a work one and a home one) it's
    still far easier and cheaper just to use a USB drive of some sort.

    Your Name, May 1, 2014
  15. Don Bruder

    John Albert Guest

    Speaking of POP vs. IMAP ...

    In Mavericks, how does one create a new POP account "from
    scratch" ??

    By that, I mean withOUT importing account settings through
    Migration Assistant, etc.

    I tried to do it, and the only option it seems to offer is
    IMAP...

    John Albert, May 1, 2014
  16. Don Bruder

    David Empson Guest

    Mail menu; Preferences; Accounts; + button; Add Other Mail Account;
    Enter your name, email address and password; service not recognised so
    manual setup is required: the next screen offers IMAP/POP as choices.

    Alternatively, start in System Preferences; Internet Accounts; Add Other
    Account; Add a Mail Account; the remaining steps are the same.

    I haven't tried adding an account on a domain it knows about. It is
    possible that might only let you create an IMAP account if it knows the
    mail service offers IMAP.

    What mail service were you trying to create an account for?

    David Empson, May 2, 2014
  17. Mail first tests the mail server to discover which protocols it
    supports. If it offers both POP and IMAP, Mail picks IMAP without giving
    you a choice. To get around this, enter the wrong password for the
    account. Mail should then go into a less automated setup mode in which
    you can select POP (and enter the correct password).

    Neill Massello, May 2, 2014
  18. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Yes, this - asking for a username and password before allowing
    an account to be configured - is a bit of a pain.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 2, 2014
  19. Don Bruder

    JF Mezei Guest

    I use IMAP. However, I still feel the option to choose POP or IMAP
    should be easy to access without requiring sneaky tricks.

    Nots that I have 2 accounts to point to the same mailbox, one via IMAP,
    one via POP. There are times where I may need to use/test one of the other.

    I can see Apple wishing to transition to IMAP and eventually deprecate
    POP, just as they have NFS and now in process of moving away from AFP.
    So i can understand (but not agree with) their attempt to make it hard
    to find a way to configure POP.

    JF Mezei, May 2, 2014
  20. Exactly my point.
    Or pull it back from one of my other backup disks or my usb stick.
    That would be nice.
    I switched providers three times in the last 10 years. All I had to do
    is change the account data and I was done.
    Please remind me what you have to do, if you change providers when you
    use IMAP.

    And for the mail app: I don´t like Apple Mail or Thunderbird or any of
    the others, so I wrote my own which works just the way I want it to.

    Bernd Fröhlich, May 2, 2014