    I have never looked into IMAP and know nothing about it.

    Mine also works just the way I want it to, although I'm open to feature
    requests.

    Tim Streater, May 2, 2014

  2. Don Bruder

    android Guest

    Oki...
    Could you shed some light over why they would want to limit the options
    for the user?

    android, May 2, 2014

  3. Don Bruder

    JF Mezei Guest

    It is easy for a company such as Apple to decide that POP is obsolete
    and that it should "steer" its customer base away from it. By making POP
    harder to configure, it will push all new users to use IMAP.

    Considering how those companies get boners with the "cloud" buzzword,
    and considering that POP is not very good for "cloud", once could see
    arguments for those companies (apple, google, microsoft) prefering IMAP
    to POP since IMAP makes use of central mail store on their servers which
    can be data mined for targetted ads, help the NSA and friends etc.

    Also, I think the image is that POP is an old protocol like telnet and
    should be relegated to museums. (I personally still use telnet to
    configure routers/modems etc, so I don't consider telnet to be "old",
    but the buzzword driven industry does and pushes silly web based limited
    config of equipment.

    JF Mezei, May 2, 2014
  4. Don Bruder

    android Guest

    Oki... ;-/

    android, May 2, 2014
  5. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    The thing here is, some people (well, at least me, and I doubt I'm
    the only one) would like to look over a user agent's configuration
    options without having to enter a bogus username and password first,
    and then waiting for the authentication to time out and fail. Not
    to mention some versions of Apple's Mail require more of a hack than
    just that.

    Regarding another question downstream in this thread, I'm sure Apple
    wants it all to "just work," but they've carried this a bit too far.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 2, 2014
  6. Don Bruder

    Guest Guest

    it's the same. you just configure it with the new provider's info.

    however, you do have the option to move some or all of your existing
    mail to the new server if you want.
    you could do that with imap too.

    Guest, May 2, 2014
  7. Don Bruder

    android Guest

    The refusal give the user and "advanced mode" speaks for itself...
    On Outlook 2011 OTOH you can't even see the email address of the sender
    in the preview pane list. That's why I'm still using Mail (4.5) as my
    primary mail client.

    android, May 2, 2014
  8. Don Bruder

    John Albert Guest

    Hello David,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I haven't actually had the need to "create a POP account
    from scratch" yet (since I was able to "import account
    settings" from my older OS).

    However, I'm looking ahead to some point where I might have
    to create a POP account without having the prior settings
    from which to import.

    Seems like Apple purposely makes it difficult for the user
    to choose POP if that's what the user wishes.

    I prefer a POP-style mail arrangement and don't want IMAP.

    John Albert, May 2, 2014
  9. Don Bruder

    John Albert Guest

    I prefer POP and will -never- use IMAP -- just don't want
    anything to do with it. I have no IOS devices nor iPhone,
    and never will.

    Further, I don't want ANY email left "in storage" on my
    ISP's servers. I want it removed as I download it.

    If Mail.app ever reaches the point where
    establishing/maintaining a POP account is impossible, I'll
    switch to another email app immediately.

    These are my needs, and I realize they may be different from
    others' posting here.

    I thought using personal computers -- especially those from
    Apple -- was supposed to be about "choice" ??

    John Albert, May 2, 2014
  10. Don Bruder

    Guest Guest

    you can do that with imap.

    Guest, May 2, 2014
  11. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    I use POP but I'd never say -never- 'cause there's no telling what
    tomorrow will bring (in my needs, in how mail servers go, and so on).

    Using POP does not prevent me from getting my mail on my iPhone either.
    Me too - though I put in a 24 hour delay in the client settings so the
    message is retained that long "just in case".
    Just like Henry Ford's original model T colour choices.

    Alan Browne, May 2, 2014
  12. Don Bruder

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    Well, as someone who got fed up with the loss of MT-NW on Mavericks and
    am now deep into developing my own Usenet reader, coding ain't cheap. A
    lot of people consider POP as dead as NNTP, and so they devote their
    resources to more "popular" features like IMAP (or Twitter and Facebook
    for social stuff). If your love of POP is limited to what you can get
    for free, you're looking at the wrong party when you blame companies for
    limiting options.

    Doc O'Leary, May 2, 2014
  13. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    billy, May 2, 2014
  14. Don Bruder

    dyera Guest

    I feel the same way, especially about the password. Since I can be too
    hasty at times, I have not stored the SMTP password in Mail on my iMac
    with Snow Leopard. That prompt is one more chance to cancel sending, and
    more foolproof because of the time it takes to type. :) I'd like to keep
    my new MBA with Mavericks from remembering my password, but have been
    unsuccessful so far. It always remembers what I type in.

    dyera, May 2, 2014
  15. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Taken to its natural end, you'd probaby be happier running
    your own server. Mail has to be "in storage" at your ISP
    before they can offer it to you.

    For example (since you posted with OS 10.8) -

    https://cutedgesystems.com/software/MailServeForMountainLion

    And for Mavericks -

    https://cutedgesystems.com/software/MailServeForMavericks/

    There are plenty of other ways to go, too.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 2, 2014
  16. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    That's why I said tens or hundreds. One or two attachments a day will
    easily push you into the 'tens' and a large volume of mail will easily
    push you into the hundreds.

    I run a mail server, I know how much mail people get.
    You are not a typical user. TYPICAL users get videos in their
    email, then complain that they can only send 25MB or smaller
    attachments.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  17. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    And yet, a dearth of facts.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  18. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    Or if you travel. Or visit other people. Or leave your house. Either you
    have no access to your email, or you lug your desktop around in the back
    of your car with a 12V inverter and some huge batteries.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  19. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    In fact, a 10K+ INBOX is exactly why I disabled POP3 access over a
    decade ago.
    Johnny-come-latelies, all of them!

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  20. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Not saying it's their policy, but one reason to do so would be a sound
    engineering (or any design discipline) reason: simplify.[1]

    Carrying legacy support "forever" seems supportive to customers but in
    the long term harms them by bloating code, increasing complexity and
    test requirements.

    Apple have a history of leading abandonment. Floppies were abandoned
    and now CD/DVD readers are being abandoned.

    Hard disks are in transition too as SSD size grows and costs become
    economical. With Apple's lead to a PCIe lane to the SSD, they are
    getting stunningly fast. (Mac Pro).

    Apple sliced flash out of the mobile segment by brutal pruning and in
    response sites are using more HTML5. Flash is on a slow march to the
    graveyard and not many people will bemoan the loss.

    Lopping off POP may be too drastic at present but 2nd classing it for a
    while will help move people to IMAP. At some point Apple may feel
    justified in lopping it off and as usual will point out the benefits
    (with appropriate RDF) and otherwise shrug off the howls of protest.

    'til then or other compelling reason, I'll POP.

    (I may retry IMAP sometime soon to see if Gmail behaviour wrt to Apple
    Mail has improved - I was really not happy with it last time around.)

    Alan Browne, May 2, 2014