    Alan Browne Guest

    If you "log off" your MBA or force account login password after
    screensaver or sleep, then the pw is nice and safe in the keychain.

    Alan Browne, May 2, 2014

  2. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    Really?

    I get: Invoices, payment notifications, receipts, and personal mail,
    none of which I want to delete. I still have emails from my dad and
    step-mom who have both died. I have emails that are 20+ years old.

    I used to spend time trying to decide what email to save, but it as a
    large time sync. I don't delete any email now as it's simpler to keep
    everything that figure out what I want to keep.

    Every now and then I go through and delete some of the list mail or
    subscription mail in large batches (using smart folders). Still have
    over 5GB though.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014

  3. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    For a home user with one account and one computer who *never* needs (or
    would find it useful) to have email on any other device, computer, or
    location.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  4. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    You seem to have a weird paranoia that reveals a basic misunderstanding
    of how email works.

    All your email goes through your ISP. All your email goes through a
    'prism' where it is diverted to the NSA before it ever reaches your ISP.
    All your email is available for snooping long before your ISP even
    receives it.

    If your concern is that your ISP will read your email, get a different
    ISP. If your concern is that *anyone* can read your email, then you
    should be encrypting all email and it doesn't matter where it is stored.

    That said, it is *trivial* to use IMAP exactly like POP. Want to keep
    your mail on your computer and not on the server? OK, IMAP does that
    too.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  5. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    Ridiculous. IMAP takes more resources for the service in terms of
    storage (though storage is very cheap and it takes much less resources
    in terms of processing). The reason is that for the vast majority of
    users, IMAP is clearly superior.

    Most people are not living in a one device world. Old retired people
    with one computer who don't leave home are not representative of the
    population in general.
    Telnet is old and terribly insecure. It has some limited usefulness to
    access LAN devices that are to dumb to have ssh, but other than that it
    should never be used because telent (like ftp) send cleartext passwords.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  6. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Well, there is NTLM, Kerberos, ...

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2941

    Telnet sessions, on the other hand, are not encrypted.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 2, 2014
  7. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    False. I get my e-mails on my iPhone (without losing them) and I can
    webmail (without losing them) from anywhere.

    Alan Browne, May 2, 2014
  8. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    The MacBook Air also uses a PCIe SSD, and so do the Mac Book Pros.
    Gmail is not IMAP. It is sort of kind of IMAP compatible. Sort of.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  9. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    Really? Today I went to Home Depot to return some stuff. I thought I had
    the physical receipt with me, but I had the wrong one. I opened up my
    mail client on my phone and pulled the receipt (from two weeks ago) out
    and was able to show it to the Returns desk.

    Can you do that?

    Or do you mean, "I can see the last few hours of emails on my phone"? Or
    "I can see a random selection of email on my phone depending on how
    consistently I checked mail on that device before my computer deleted
    it."

    Neither is acceptable.

    Or earlier this week when I started an email on my ipad and then decided
    I needed more time and wanted a keyboard, so finished the email a couple
    of hours later on my laptop.

    If you have one device, then POP/IMAP doesn't matter. Otherwise, there
    *will* be issues because POP was designed around the assumption 1 person
    = 1 email address = 1 physical location for mail.

    POP worked fine when you logged in to the server to read your mail.
    There was no need for IMAP then.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  10. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Then I probably won't bother retrying it. Otherwise POP from gmail
    works fine as does same from my ISP e-mail.

    Alan Browne, May 2, 2014
  11. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Nope. My e-mails on the ISP e-mail are deleted 24 hours after they are
    POP'd (as long as Apple Mail gets to connect, that is). I could set it
    to longer if I like.

    Anything I bought in the last couple weeks, the paper receipt is in my
    wallet. Then they go in the upper left hand drawer of my home office
    desk. Habit is to get receipts when returning things.
    No. From the time I pop an e-mail at home, the e-mail will stay on the
    server for at least 24 hours (I could set this to 30 days or whatever I
    want). From the time of the first pop of a mail message, once 24 hours
    has gone by, the next POP event will clear that message.
    To you. To me it's been fine for over 2 decades. No issue.
    I personally don't do mail on my iPhone much. But I do use the notes
    feature to capture ideas or checklists - that is sync'd to the iCloud.
    Were I to do e-mail on an iPad it would likely be with Gmail - so I
    wouldn't lose anything there either.

    Recent thing: A colleague and I have been brainstorming a project and
    we're both physically (and mentally to tell the truth) all over the
    place so we use Message to do the brainstorm. Occasionally I copy and
    paste the whole stream from Message on my Mac and save it to a Word
    file. Great way to document the proceedings - and we can go back to
    ideas to kick around.
    Nor for me, at present. If there is a need for change I'll go that way.
    There is no need at present. Be clear - I'm talking about my personal
    accounts.

    Alan Browne, May 2, 2014
  12. Don Bruder

    Patty Winter Guest

    I can, and I use POP.

    I could retrieve a message from last year if I needed to, if I
    thought it was important enough to leave on the server.

    I just opened up Mail on my iPad. It's displaying some mail from
    back to 2011.

    Computers don't delete mail unless you tell them to. I have Eudora
    set to "Leave mail on server." It stays there until I manually delete
    it. I routinely leave receipts, timesheet information, etc. on the
    server until I'm sure I no longer need them.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, May 3, 2014
  13. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Wouldn't work for me. I don't recall what the limit is, but I'd reach
    the max within a few weeks and I'd have to clear some off the server
    before it would accept new e-mails from outside. (This happened to me
    once back in the early 90's. While I'm sure they give me more space now
    than then, it's also true the attachment sized have grown too).

    So I have Mail set to delete messages older than 1 day. 7 days, 15, 30
    would probably work. But 1 is not an issue.

    Alan Browne, May 3, 2014
  14. Don Bruder

    Your Name Guest

    The usual meaningless load of drivel. Thank God I killed this idiot,
    now if only other people would stop replying to it. :-\

    Your Name, May 3, 2014
  15. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    billy, May 3, 2014
  16. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, May 3, 2014
  17. Don Bruder

    dyera Guest

    I'm sure this is what 99.9% of people would appreciate. But I want to type
    in the long password every time so that there is plenty of time to think
    about what I am sending.

    This is probably only attainable with alpine. I have yet to install it on
    the MBA though!

    dyera, May 3, 2014
  18. Don Bruder

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    I read and re-read it all before, including the various RFCs and their
    updates. There is plenty I don't like, and much that is completely
    outdated. Right now, I don't care if I'm swimming upstream to complete
    a fool's errand. Right now, the echos of what people thought Usenet
    should be in 1995 ring hollow when I couldn't even find a damn libnntp
    to base my reader on; neither one that gets used by all the existing
    newsreaders, nor one that got made by any of their efforts.

    That all sounds more hostile than it should. My underlying point
    remains that, despite there being a lot of "open" and "free" software, a
    lot of poor design and architecture makes it brittle. Whether it's POP
    or IMAP or NNTP that gets used for moving messages *could* be abstracted
    away, but lessons aren't being learned. And until people are motivated
    to pay for better software, they shouldn't be surprised when they don't
    get it.

    Doc O'Leary, May 3, 2014
  19. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Well, yea, things have changed somewhat over the last 20 years. But...
    ....I'd suggest looking at (and borrowing from, speaking of nntp libs)
    slrn and tin.
    Both of these are what I'd call better software, although they're
    both character cell terminal (no GUI) newsreaders.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 3, 2014
  20. Don Bruder

    Alan Browne Guest

    That must be peculiar to your thought processes and behaviour. Most of
    us are either "in session" or not. But it's true that we should take
    another 10 seconds to ask ourselves "should I really send this?" more
    often. But using a password entering process is not (IMO) the best way
    to do that. (Esp. in my case as I don't even know most of my passwords
    - I use 1Password to enter them).

    Alan Browne, May 3, 2014