Obnoxious noises in Apple Mail - how to silence?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Don Bruder, Apr 28, 2014.

  1. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    In message <lkq8tr$rpo$>
    Not just ISPs, either.

    Many small businesses have two connections to the Internet and a router
    that splits the traffic. A decent load balancing/bonding router costs
    less than $1500.
    I doubt it. Peering arrangements have *always* been completely secret
    unless the peering was between public institutions.

    Back in the days before SMTP, email addresses showed the peering. For
    example, my 'bang path' was

    ....!apple!ucsc!ucscb!kreme

    which meant "First, you have to get to Apple. From there, Apple will
    route the email to the University of California at Santa Cruz, which
    will send it to the machine named ucscb, which will route it to the user
    'kreme'. Apple and UCSC were peers.

    Someone at, say, Dartmouth, would have to send an email to me with and
    address something like:

    athene!dartmouth!apple!ucsc!ucscb!kreme

    while someone at Harvard might have to do something like

    apollo!harvard!mit!ucb!apple!ucsc!ucscb!kreme

    So, not only did you need to know someone's address, but you had to
    manually specify the route.

    If one of the machines (or more) was connecting via UUCP, email could
    take days. Sometimes many days. Sometimes more days than putting a stamp
    on a letter and dropping it in a mailbox.

    --
    Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my
    opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should

    Lewis, May 12, 2014

  2. Don Bruder

    Tim Streater Guest

    I'm trying to remember what one does in this situation. Don't you have
    to have a full routing table from each provider so your router can
    choose between them? That's quite a bit of memory - but then as I say
    it's been a few years so perhaps it's a lot cheaper to do that than it
    used to be.

    Tim Streater, May 12, 2014

  3. Don Bruder

    Tim Streater Guest

    Biassed which way? I never watched [1] commercial TV when I lived in
    the US.

    [1] OK so I'm lying, yes yes I watched Perry Mason reruns and also
    ST-NG. Big deal.

    Tim Streater, May 12, 2014
  4. Don Bruder

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    Hmmm. Definitely food for thought. I may look into it further, but I
    still would want to work out what I can offer funders that is more
    encouraging than the common "wait for months before you get anything
    useful".

    Doc O'Leary, May 12, 2014
  5. Don Bruder

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    Right; that makes sense to me. Software development is a different
    beast, though, especially when a company has a 1.x version already
    selling.

    It probably also doesn't help that I proposed an open software project
    to Kickstarter way back in 2010 when they were just beginning and they
    said it wasn't a fit. That soured my view, but maybe I need to reassess.

    Doc O'Leary, May 12, 2014
  6. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Towards the American political right (presidents Reagan, Bush, war-
    mongers-in-general, etc). Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 12, 2014
  7. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    Memory's become cheaper, but the number of prefixes has grown. Heh.
    Anyway, there's more than one way to do this -

    Sample Configuration for BGP with Two Different Service Providers (Multihoming)
    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/23675-27.html

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 12, 2014
  8. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, May 12, 2014
  9. Don Bruder

    Lewis Guest

    In message <lkr0v8$khc$>
    Reagen would be lambasted at Fox for being a touchy-feely anti-business
    liberal. Remember, Reagan wanted millionaires to pay taxes.

    Lewis, May 12, 2014
  10. Don Bruder

    billy Guest

    As is all too fitting for this thread...

    Idolatry Is Blind.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 12, 2014