    sound. Is there a way to keep the cpu fan at a constant speed so I
    don't hear the throttling? Thanks.

    -worm

    Wormwood, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Wormwood

    rms Guest

    Sounds like you need to clean it. Break out the compressed air bottle.

    rms

    rms, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Wormwood

    Asestar Guest

    annoying to hear this constant "motorbike hand throttle up & down"
    Also see if any of cables is touching the fan. What is the cpu temp under
    load? Can happen if heat is too much and lubrication of ballbearing is
    fading..

    Asestar, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Wormwood

    Wormwood Guest

    No cables or anything brushing up against the cpu fan blades. Oddly
    enough, it only started doing this a couple of weeks after I started
    the OC. System appears perfectly stable, ran Prime95 at priority 10
    for 4 hours and no errors, also did 3DMark 2001SE demo loop overnight
    w/ no crashes. Under full load the cpu temperature is 54-55 C, normal
    load is around 43-45 C. Remember I'm using an AMD retail XP2500+ with
    the standard heatsibk/fan so it's expected to be running a little hot
    like this. Someone suggested it might be dust but it's only a few
    weeks old so there's virtually no dust build up. Thanks for your
    help.

    -worm

    Wormwood, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Wormwood

    DaveL Guest

    My first thought is the fan is marginally bad. It's probably a coincidence
    that it started when you began overclocking but the only way to be sure is
    to throttle the system back to stock settings and see if the fan returns to
    normal. If this fixes it then who knows, it may be PSU related. If not
    then you have two choices. Replace the fan, or slow it down with a
    resistor. I have seen variable resistors on the market for this purpose. I
    belive Zalman makes one which installs in a expansion slot and has a knob to
    dial in the rpm desired.

    Dave

    DaveL, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Wormwood

    Wormwood Guest

    Yeah, my PSU may be underpowered for this type of setup (350 watt
    Antec). Will soon be upgrading that though. Thanks for the info.

    -worm

    Wormwood, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Wormwood

    Debug Guest

    You mean one of these.

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=8840&vpn=FANMATE-1

    They don't take up an expansion slot, you are maybe thinking of the fan
    Zalman makes to use in conjunction with their VGA heatpipe, they use an
    expansion slot.

    Debug, Feb 23, 2004