OC a 2500 Barton to 2600 out of the box!

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by The Old Man, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Hi all,

    I purchased an AMD XP2500+ to go with my new Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard.
    Out of interest, mainly due to a friend informing me that boards with the
    Nforce2 chipset automatically unlock AMD CPU's, I changed the clock
    multiplier in the BIOS from 11x to 11.5x. Upon reboot, I found the chip is
    now displayed as a 2600+. It runs very stable, never had a problem in a
    month of testing. Temperature never changed it still averages 47C. I use the
    supplied fan and heatsink which came with the CPU (Retail Pack). I'm very
    impressed, an extra 100Mhz+ for nothing - great value for money, well done
    Asus and AMD. My case is a Chieftec Dragon Miditower with rear case fan and
    same size door fan.

    I wonder now how far this CPU can go without having to go to the expense of
    fancy coolers etc?

    Regards,
    Graham.

    The Old Man, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Go for 12.5. You should have no problems.
    I have two 2500+ Bartons here one on an A7N8X deluxe and one on an A7N8X-X.
    Both are at 200 x 11 (XP3200+) speed with PC3200 memory. No voltage tweaks,
    minor temp increase (well under 50C at max load), no instability. The 2500+
    is a much better deal than what you've discovered so far :)

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 16, 2003

  3. The Old Man

    Ben Pope Guest

    To about 2.2GHz should be easy. You may have to give it a smidgen more
    voltage.

    If you have PC3200 try 200MHz * 10 and check temperatures. If ok and
    stable, go for 11.

    I was running mine at 220FSB * 11 for a short time, but I've got a heat
    problem and don't want to increase voltage to maintain stability. Windows
    boots ok but Prime95 was giving errors.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 16, 2003
  4. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Hhhm,
    Getting confused with the FSB and multiplier here...

    My DDR is Crucial DDR400.

    Gra.

    The Old Man, Sep 17, 2003
  5. The Old Man

    Ben Pope Guest

    You should set your FSB to 200MHz, RAM in synch (100%) and multiplier to
    around 10-11

    If you manage 11 with stability, you've got yourself a 3200+ :)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 18, 2003
  6. I'm betting you're no older than I am ;-)
    What Ben said. FSB to 200, start with 10 as your multiplier. Then try 10.5,
    etc. I'm betting you'll be able to do 11, but the 2500+ is one heck of a
    bargain at any of these speeds.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 18, 2003
  7. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I realise this is digressing into overclocking so
    apologies for being off topic.
    before reading your advice, I just powered up and upped the multiplier to 12
    fro 11.5x. The FSB is still 166 and its booted up fine with the standard AMD
    supplied fan/heatsink.
    So its running at 166FSBx12=1992Mhz and now displays as an XP2700+. Temp is
    45C.
    To say that I'm extremely impressed is an understatement given theres no
    extra fans and cooling etc, just out of the box so to speak.

    You are saying a higher FSB of 200x11=2200Mhz is the same as a XP3200+? Wow,
    that's 400Mhz higher than it should be. I wonder if the chip is a higher
    model but rebadged or if it's the ways these Barton 2500+'s are?

    I'm a bit worried about overclocking the FSB, wouldn;t this effect the
    Crucial DDR400 RAM, PCI and AGP cards?

    Thanks for the advice once more.

    Graham.

    The Old Man, Sep 18, 2003
  8. The Old Man

    Ben Pope Guest

    A Barton core is a Barton core. They don't make XP 2500+ or XP3200+, there
    are no differences. They make a Barton core (or however many there are on a
    wafer and cut them up), test it for 3200+, if it works they cut the bridges
    and stick it in the right bin. If it fails the test, it'll be tested for a
    lower frequency. I suspect that not all 2500+ are failed 3200+, the demand
    is not that high for 3200+, and the tolerances are pretty fine. I think my
    2500+ would have failed the 3200+ test, but if I give it a little more
    voltage it's fine.
    The FSB, RAM and AGP/PCI buses all have a seperate clock. Provided AGP is
    set to Auto or 66, AGP and PCI will be in spec. It's also a good idea to
    lock the FSB and Memory clocks together (memory to 100%) as this is where
    the nForce2 is tuned.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 18, 2003
  9. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Thanks for the info Ben, much appreciated. I'm going to have a play!

    Gra.

    The Old Man, Sep 18, 2003
  10. No problem. These things are fun, eh?
    Can't say all 2500+ Bartons are this way, but I have three here, two on Asus
    NForce2 boards running at 200 x 11 with PC3200 RAM. Both are stable at stock
    voltages. The third is on an Epox 8K5A2+ at 166 x 12.5 (2075 MHz). The older
    chipset is limited to 166MHz, or I'd be faster here as well.
    On your A7N8X Deluxe, you can go 200 x 10 (to start) without worrying about
    the PCI and AGP, as they are locked at the stock speeds despite the FSB
    increase. That's a feature of the NForce2 chipset.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 19, 2003
  11. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Fun indeed. The NForce2 chipset is brilliant. Really helps you get more
    value out of your investment. I'll start again with the 200FSB, thanks for
    the clarification.

    Gra.

    The Old Man, Sep 19, 2003
  12. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Hi,
    Here's my thing:

    Having run the Barton 2500 at 2700 (166FSBx12=1992Mhz) over the weekend with
    no problems, this morning I tried changing it to the suggestions below:
    200CPU Freq x 10=2000Mhz = Seemed stable but not bench tested. Displayed as
    2000Mhz CPU. Greed kicked in.
    200CPU Freq x 11=2200Mhz = Displayed as an XP3200 but wouldn't load windows,
    black screen.
    Took it back to:
    200CPU Freq x 10.5=2100Mhz = Windows XP Pro loaded. Displays as an XP3000.
    Sandra Benchtests run. However won't attempt to run 3DMark03 without
    returning to desktop.

    Regards,
    Graham.

    The Old Man, Sep 22, 2003
  13. Not impressed. I took a 1800+ (1.53Mhz) to 2000 (1.70Mhz) on Aida32
    Enterprise Edition the Read benchmark puts it into the top 10 (#6 to be
    precise) blowing past AMD 2000+, 2400+, 2700+, Pentium 2.4's and hanging
    with the 3.3 crowd. (memory read @ 2532 MB/S)

    Mobo temps at 104 d/F, CPU at 121-131d/F. Lian-Li 609A Case. With Side Cover
    off, Temps are 15 d/F cooler. Rock steady performance through games and
    graphics heavy apps.
    A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard, stock cooler, Lian Li Case, Windows 2000
    Professional. Everything is damn impressive including the CPU.

    Frosty DaSnowman, Sep 23, 2003
  14. The Old Man

    The Old Man Guest

    Hi,
    Is it possible that the XP1800 you have is most likely one of the AMD 2600+
    Bartons that were rebadged by AMD because there was so much demand for that
    CPU and stocks were low?

    Regards,
    Graham.

    The Old Man, Sep 23, 2003