OC'ing old school Asus P4S800D-X

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Luvrsmel, Apr 25, 2013.

  1. Luvrsmel

    Luvrsmel Guest

    Found a 3.4GHz 478pin Prescott and have pushed it to 3.6GHz stable.
    Will run at 3.7GHz but got blue screen after running for a few hours so I
    backed it off.
    Anyone see any room for improvement with this system?

    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista
    Ultimate 6.0.6002 (Vista RTM)

    --------[
    Overclock ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    CPU Properties:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
    CPU Alias Prescott
    CPU Stepping D0
    Engineering Sample No
    CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R)
    4 CPU 3.40GHz
    CPUID Revision 00000F34h

    CPU Speed:
    CPU Clock 3604.3 MHz
    (original: 3400 MHz, overclock: 6%)
    CPU Multiplier 17x
    CPU FSB 212.0 MHz
    (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 6%)
    Memory Bus 212.0 MHz
    DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1

    CPU Cache:
    L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
    L1 Data Cache 16 KB
    L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC,
    ATC, Full-Speed)

    Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID
    63-0602-009999-00101111-061506-SIS655FX$A0149001_BIOS DATE: 06/15/06
    11:15:19 VER: 08.00.09
    Motherboard Name Asus P4S800D-X (5
    PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)

    Chipset Properties:
    Motherboard Chipset
    North Bridge SiS 655FX
    Supported FSB Speeds FSB400, FSB533,
    FSB800
    Supported Memory Types DDR-200 SDRAM,
    DDR-266 SDRAM, DDR-333 SDRAM, DDR-400 SDRAM
    Revision 50

    Memory Controller:
    Type Dual Channel
    (128-bit)
    Active Mode Dual Channel
    (128-bit)
    Memory Timings 3-5-5-9
    (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    DIMM1: Micron 16VDDT12864AG40BDB 1 GB PC3200 DDR
    SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
    DIMM2: Samsung M3 68L6523CUS-CCC 512 MB PC3200 DDR
    SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)
    DIMM3: Micron 16VDDT12864AG40BDB 1 GB PC3200 DDR
    SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
    DIMM4: Micron 8VDDT6464AG-40BD2 512 MB PC3200 DDR
    SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

    AGP Controller:
    AGP Version 3.05
    AGP Status Enabled
    AGP Device ATI All-in-Wonder
    X800
    AGP Aperture Size 128 MB
    Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x
    Current AGP Speed 8x
    Fast-Write Not Supported
    Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

    Graphics Processor Properties:
    Video Adapter ATI All-in-Wonder
    X800
    GPU Code Name R420 (AGP 8x 1002 /
    4A4B, Rev 00)
    GPU Clock 500 MHz (original:
    500 MHz)
    Memory Clock 500 MHz (original:
    500 MHz)

    Luvrsmel, Apr 25, 2013

  2. Luvrsmel

    Paul Guest

    I see only a three phase regulator on that motherboard.

    http://www.pcplanetsystems.com/abc/images/big/asusmobo21big.gif

    Place a finger on the MOSFETs and coils, near the CPU socket.
    If they're getting hot, don't overclock too much further.
    If pushed far enough, MOSFETs have their own SOA and version
    of thermal runaway.

    I have one system here, that when I overclocked it, the
    regulator circuits near the CPU socket were getting too hot
    and I had to back off.

    *******

    When you overclock, you generally need a bit more VCore to do it.
    Does your motherboard support VCore adjustment ?

    I checked the manual, and don't see an adjustment for it.

    You might need a "volt mod" for VCore, or, figure out how
    to change the VID code being sent to the regulator.

    You would also need to research, how much additional VCore,
    is safe for a Prescott. I don't have a number in my head for that.

    On an enthusiast motherboard, VCore can sometimes be adjusted
    at the BIOS level (boost type setting).

    VCore voltage, and max frequency, go hand in hand. You will
    get a certain amount of overclock, without adjusting Vcore.
    To go further than that level, you need more VCore.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/...156_Overclocking_CPU_Frequency_vs_Voltage.png

    On my Asrock board, I did a volt mod, and that boosted the
    voltage when I needed it. The voltage regulator in that case,
    had an offset feature, so the mod was not too hard to do.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 26, 2013