    Sabertooth x58. The Mtherboard has sata3 ports but they are managed by
    non intel chipset. What is better?
    I thank you.

    AroundTheWorld, Apr 21, 2012

  2. AroundTheWorld

    Paul Guest

    There are three capacities of Vertex 4 and three capacities of M4.

    The write speed, in MB/sec, is a function of the capacity selected.
    If you get the 128GB one, it writes slower than the larger drives.

    The OCZ might be a slightly better drive, but they haven't been
    shipping for as long as the Crucial M4. And you should really see
    more weeks of usage of a product, to get some idea for how
    reliable they are.

    The first review for the Vertex 4 on the Newegg customer review
    section, is April 4, 2012. So that is not a long enough period, to know
    if there are problems or not. By comparison, the customer review
    section for the M4, has a couple hundred reviews available.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227791

    I expect either of them would be a good drive, and for the
    all important read speed, both will work well. Fast read speed
    is what makes them a good boot drive. Having a 200MB/sec write
    speed is less important, unless you were say, writing videos to
    them all the time. If I owned an SSD, I might write my video to
    the hard drive (as a single hard drive is normally fast enough
    for video editing applications). There would be less reasons to
    store video on the SSD.

    Reading the adverts on Newegg, it looks like the OCZ lists
    "TRIM support", which frees up NAND flash blocks when you
    "empty the trash bin" in Windows. And that's a good thing,
    since SSDs work better, if they have more empty storage blocks
    available to choose from. Using TRIM, helps keep the write
    performance more consistent from day to day.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 23, 2012

  3. There are three capacities of Vertex 4 and three capacities of M4.

    Do you tink both will run fine with Sabertooth x58? I'm afraid this
    motherboard cannot manage at the highest level these two SSD above all
    Vertex 4. I will plug the cable in Intel connection (black
    connection). What is your tought?
    I thank you.

    AroundTheWorld, Apr 23, 2012
  4. AroundTheWorld

    Paul Guest

    Sabertooth X58

    ICH10R 6 SATA, 3Gbit/sec
    JMB362 2 SATA, 3Gbit/sec
    Marvell 88SE9128 2 SATA, 6Gbit/sec

    This is how the Marvell is connected in your system. The chip uses
    a single PCI Express lane. To work at full rate (or as close to full
    rate as it offers), it needs to be connected to a Rev.2 lane.

    PCI-E Rev.2 x1 ----- 88SE9128 ----- SATA III
    ----- SATA III

    We need a way to verify where it is connected.

    Asus do not provide architecture diagrams in the user manual, like Gigabyte,
    so we are left to guess. This diagram shows the facilities available on
    the Sabertooth X58. Notice that the lanes available on the ICH10R,
    only run at 250MB/sec, and would be a poor place to connect the 88SE9128.

    CPU

    | QPI

    X58 --- x16 Rev.2
    | --- x16 Rev.2
    | --- x4 Rev.2 (500MB/sec per lane)
    |
    | DMI

    ICH10R --- (6) x1 Rev.1 (250MB/sec per lane)

    The 88SE9128 really needs to be connected to a 500MB/sec lane
    to work at full rate with a single disk. I suspect the 88SE9128 on
    this Asus motherboard (ASUS P6X58D), is connected to the x4 Rev.2 section.
    They get write at 371MB/sec and read at 203MB/sec on the Marvell controller.
    (The 371 tells us, that a Rev.2 lane must be in usage.)

    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...8-amp-Highpoint-2720-Comparison-Single-Vertex

    OK, I checked another thread on the vip.asus.com forums, and a poster
    got "R350ish/W160ish" on the 88SE9128 SATA III ports. Translated
    into English, he got 350MB/sec sustained read from a 500+ MB/sec SSD,
    so the Marvell is not as good as a dedicated SATA III port. The 350MB/sec
    tells us, that yes, the 88SE9128 on the Sabertooth X58, is connected to
    a Rev.2 lane (500MB/sec).

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...1&model=Sabertooth+X58&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    The vip.asus.com forums have some opinions on connecting the SSD. The
    ICH10R should be a reliable place to make a connection. Both of your
    planned SSD purchases, are not Sandforce controller based SSDs,
    so should be fine. (M4 is Marvell, Vertex4 is Indilinx Everest2)

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...1&model=Sabertooth+X58&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    One of the problems with the Marvell controller, is getting a good driver for it.
    I see mention, that someone used "msahci" build-in Windows 7 driver
    with it, as an example of another way to run it.

    *******

    I think, if you connect the Vertex 4 128GB to the ICH10R, you
    will be getting the write performance of the SSD (as write is
    slower than read). The read will not be a match on speed,
    but the system will not lose any data. SATA is backwards
    compatible, and a SATA III drive will work just fine on a
    SATA II port on the ICH10R. If used as a boot disk, it
    will still boot faster, and launch programs faster. As to whether
    it will accelerate all storage, you will likely still be storing
    your user data, on the other hard drives.

    OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB

    Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 535 MB/s
    Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 200 MB/s <--- matches SATA II roughly

    OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB

    Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 535 MB/s
    Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 380 MB/s

    OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G 2.5" 512GB

    Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 535 MB/s
    Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 475 MB/s

    If you buy the 128GB Vertex 4, and connect it to Marvell 88SE9128,
    you get 370MB/sec read and 200MB/sec write. (The Marvell apparently
    cannot offer full SATA III rates.)

    If you buy the 128GB Vertex 4, and connect it to ICH10R,
    you get 200MB/sec read and 200MB/sec write (approximately).
    And that's because the ICH10R is limited by the SATA II interface.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 24, 2012
  5. AroundTheWorld

    Clas Mehus Guest

    Not sure if there have been driverupgraders that fixes it, but most
    for the Marvell SATA-controllers (and most other PCIe
    SATA-controllers) will not support Trim.

    You will get more than 200 MB/sec. on the ICH10. More like 250-260
    MB/sec.

    For a system drive you will not normaly "need" the high sequencial
    speeds that the SSD can give - you normaly would be handeling so much
    large files that it make a difference that you notice.

    Clas Mehus, Apr 26, 2012
  6. In your opinion if I like to create RAID0 array with 2 drives (1Tera x
    2 = 2 Tera), is it better using Intel port (black on Sabertooth x58)
    or Marvel port (white)?

    AroundTheWorld, Apr 27, 2012
  7. AroundTheWorld

    Clas Mehus Guest

    My guess is that there should be much of a difference. Personally I
    would have used the Intel-controller - have quite good experience with
    it over time. And if something happens to the motherboard, you could
    move the Intel RAID-setup to a another board with Intel-chipset that
    support RAID. Normaly Intels have compatibility when new chipsts comes
    also, so you can move the setup to another newer motherboard.

    Clas Mehus, Apr 30, 2012
  8. My guess is that there should be much of a difference. Personally I
    Good news, I thank you. A last question: is it possible to connect a
    Blu-Ray burning in a Marvell port (white)? I have any free Intel
    port. I thank you.

    AroundTheWorld, May 2, 2012