odd problem with graphics on vaio nv209 (nvidia geforce4 420 go)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by michelaccess, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. michelaccess

    michelaccess Guest

    Hi there all - this seems like an odd problem to me but one of you
    might have encountered this before and would know if i should say
    goodbye to this motherboard or not...
    basicly i have bought this laptop very cheap for parts initially but it
    does seems to be working fine except to the problem with the graphics.
    The screen is all scrambled on boot, in bios screen and with linux
    distros but in windows it almost all perfect (i have uploaded some
    screen shots if you want to look at them
    http://img405.imageshack.us/gal.php?a=1)
    i say almost perfect because the laptop seems to be working fine, the
    image is crystal clear but when i try to play a movie, dvd etc it
    crashes and after restart it says that it happened because of the
    nvidia driver. it seems to play mp3s in media player with visualisation
    fx on without any problem but if i open certain windows it start
    jittering and sometimes crashes - this seems to be when the window has
    white background (i have changed the background colors and it stoped
    the jittering) - it also start jittering sometimes when i scroll fast
    or move windows around - i guess when it needs to refresh fast or
    something
    not sure if the nvidia chipset is gone - it seems like this laptop had
    a fair amount of bashing around... The lcd screen itself is damaged
    (big black stains on parts of it) but it has the same problem even when
    i switch to external monitor or TV-Out

    can anyone suggest anything constructive? was thinking of disconnecting
    the screen to see if it effects the chipset behavior - is that crazy?

    any suggestions would be well appreciated...

    cheers
    michel

    michelaccess, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Test the RAM first. Sounds like you have a graphics problem, yes, but
    eliminate all possibilities one by one. The problem may be more generic
    or more specific - you only have seen one sympton of it, so look for
    more data before moving beyond data-gathering on to diagnosis.

    Peter

    Peter T. Breuer, Nov 30, 2005

  3. michelaccess

    michelaccess Guest

    hi there Peter and thanks for replying - when you say test the RAM do
    you mean using a specific software? if so what would you recomend for
    it?
    cheers
    michel

    michelaccess, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Yes I do, but I have no specific recommendation of one to use.
    I have only ever used memtest86.

    Peter

    Peter T. Breuer, Nov 30, 2005
  5. michelaccess