OEM version of OS instead of full version!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jeff Malka, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    I purchased a Toshiba laptop with pre-installed Windows XP Home and soon
    discovered that the restore CD did not contain a full version of the Windows
    XP Home OS. NTBackup and several other files are not included. Apparently
    to get a CD of the full OS I would need to buy it all over in a retail
    store!

    I think that is terrible and also deceptive advertising. When they sold me
    the
    Toshiba laptop it was advertised as containing "Microsoft XP Home". It did
    not say a "subset" or modified version of Windows XP Home!

    When I click on "My Computer" properties, it says
    "System: Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service pack 1".
    Although the registration number includes OEM in it, the operating system is
    not listed as being anything other than
    "Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service pack 1".

    How can they get away with that? How is that not false advertising? Why does
    Microsoft itself not make noise since they are selling a different product
    under the MS registered name?

    It's like buying a PC that advertises it has a genuine Intel Pentium 4
    processor only to find it is not really a Pentium 4 but one we modified that
    runs less fast and less well; or a 120 GB hard drive where we removed the
    last 20 GB because we did not think you needed it..

    This is terrible. Besides what does Toshiba gain by doing this - other than
    antagonizing its buyers?

    Does anyone know how to get around this or where to email Toshiba about it?

    Jeff Malka, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Jeff Malka

    HPLeft Guest

    Toshiba will give you those files if you want NT Backup. Try the Toshiba
    Laptop Computing Forum on CompuServe.

    Matt C

    HPLeft, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Jeff Malka

    Nuckfut Guest

    Get a fucking life you sad ****. It isn't false advertising. You've got
    the OS and it works. So you're missing a few shitty tools in the
    resource directory of the CDROM so what?

    At the end of the day you didn't do your homework.

    Nuckfut, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    Toshiba will give you those files if you want NT Backup. Try the Toshiba
    I do not belong to Compuserve. Is there another way to find a Toshiba
    forum?

    Jeff Malka, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Jeff Malka

    HPLeft Guest

    Go to www.toshiba.com. They have a link in the support area. The forum is
    open to all Toshiba owners, whether they are members or not.

    Matt C

    HPLeft, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Hi Jeff,

    Microsoft is in favor of and encourages manufacturers to do this. If they manufacturer wants to include a full OEM WinXP disk,
    it is more expensive.

    The other thing to keep in mind is that for laptops especially, there are drivers that the manufacturer includes on the image
    that is not developed by Microsoft.

    Personally, I prefer a full install disk. These days you are lucky if you even get an image disk. Some manufacturers are
    actually putting the restore image on a hidden partition of the hard disk.

    I have had this computer for about a year and a half, and it came with image disk. I have only used them 3 times. All 3 times I
    was upgrading my hard disk. What I do, is I have the hard disk broken up into three partitions; [C:] 17GB, [D:] 17GB and [E:]
    23GB. I Ghost my [C:] to my [D:] whenever I make changes to the [C:]. This system works so long as your hard disk doesn't fail.
    I crash my [C:] drive (9GB of programs) on a regular basis. I just boot up my Ghost CD and copy [D:] to [C:] and an 1:05 I am
    back in business. The [E:] drive is my data drive, and I back that up to CDR weekly.

    Ciao . . .
    C.Joseph

    ++ Let know man judge me until . . .
    he has walked the road I have . . .
    in the shoes I've worn. ++

    http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

    C.Joseph Drayton, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Jeff Malka

    Quaoar Guest

    From my experience, all "missing" utilities are available with Google.

    Quaoar, Sep 28, 2003
  8. Actually, you do have a more-or-less full version, but it's hidden. Not
    withstanding the visible system that they installed, my Toshiba had an
    "I386" folder on it that had the FULL system, even both Winnt.exe and
    Winnt32.exe. If you are knowledgeable, you know how to use that to do a
    full install. Burning that to a CD and using it with a bootable floppy
    with CD-ROM support gives you virtually all of the capability of a full
    retail CD. With some effort, you can actually make the equivalent of a
    full retail CD. I don't disagree with you that I'd prefer that they
    just give that to you, but the situation is not quite as bad as it appears.

    Regrading the "missing files", see if you can add them from "Add-Remove
    software" in Control Panel, using the "Add/Remove Windows Components"
    function (on the left).

    Barry Watzman, Sep 28, 2003
  9. You don't have to belong to Compuserve. There is an entry portal on the
    Toshiba web site. You will need to register (get a logon ID and
    password), but it's free and you don't have to use Compuserve, for this
    purpose, it's just a web site.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 28, 2003
  10. Jeff Malka

    HPLeft Guest

    appears.

    Could you explain how this is done? I found the directory. What do I need
    to do to create a full install disk?

    Thanks,

    Matt

    HPLeft, Sep 28, 2003
  11. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    Thanks. You answered by reasons for concern.

    --
    Jeff McPherson
    Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    Jeff Malka, Sep 28, 2003
  12. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    Jeff Malka, Sep 28, 2003
  13. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    From my experience, all "missing" utilities are available with Google.
    But it is not just the missing utilities. I believe the actual MS OS CD is
    set up differently and therefore allows certain repair choices while the OEM
    CD only permits a restoration to the original purchase state losing all your
    modifications, etc. I know you can help avoid some of this by partitioning
    your disk for data etc, but it still seems not right.

    Jeff Malka, Sep 28, 2003
  14. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    Actually, you do have a more-or-less full version, but it's hidden. Not

    Wow! Now that is interesting news. I did find the I386 folder on my HD,
    including subfolders called resinstallBackups0001/2/3/etc.containing "driver
    files".
    appears.

    That is great. I would love to do that. It would make me less insecure about
    possible disasters.

    Are there instructions somewhere on how to actually recreate the equivalent
    of a full retail CD from it? My laptop can boot up from CDs so I may not
    need the floppy bootup - which my laptop does not have. Does copying the
    I386 to a CD make it into a bootable CD or do I need to do something else?

    Thank you very much!

    Jeff Malka, Sep 28, 2003
  15. Other than NTBackup, what are you missing?

    Also, there are differences between XP Home and Pro. I believe one of
    those differences is that Home DOES NOT have NTBackup. I could be wrong
    though, as I tell my clients to only buy the Pro version.

    Stromm Sarnac, Sep 28, 2003
  16. Jeff Malka

    Quaoar Guest

    Yes, the ability to do a repair install is missing and that is a
    significant deficit, and AFIK a repair install is the only way to
    correct certain problems without a reformat where a system restore will
    not work. You are correct that there is no disclosure of the full
    capabilities of the OS at prior to purchase.

    Quaoar, Sep 28, 2003
  17. Jeff Malka

    Nuckfut Guest

    You can download an ISO of WinXP Home OEM from Kazzaa etc and burn
    that, merely using your installation key if you need to re-install.

    Copying i386 to a CD doesn't make it bootable. In NERO you can create a
    bootable CD very easily.

    Nuckfut, Sep 28, 2003
  18. Jeff Malka

    Jeff Malka Guest

    Also, there are differences between XP Home and Pro.

    I am aware of the differences between Home and Pro. I was discussing the
    differences between the real XP Home CD and the OEM stunted version.
    Pro does install NTBackup by default whereas Home does not, but it is on the
    home CD (not my OEM CD). There are other differences too. One important one
    is the ability to do a Windows repair without reformatting and restoring to
    the Toshiba "factory" setting and losing all your modifications. The real XP
    Home CD permits you to do this, whereas the messed up OEM CD lacks this
    ability and forces you to format and re-install its version.

    Jeff Malka, Sep 28, 2003
  19. Jeff Malka

    Gray Guest

    Boy, what a sick mind you have. This forum would really be better off
    without your attitude

    Gray, Sep 29, 2003
  20. Hey, I remember when I had my first beer, too!

    Jacques Clouseau, Sep 30, 2003