OEM version of OS instead of full version!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jeff Malka, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Basically, the I386 folder is the "meat" of a retail CD. It has
    everything required to do a full install to a blank hard drive. There
    are two setup programs, WINNT.EXE (DOS-setup program), and WINNT32.EXE
    (Windows setup program, there must be a pre-existing version of Windows
    already running); some versions will only have one or the other, the
    best and most complete versions will have both. All that you need to
    use it (if you burn this folder to a CD) is a bootable floppy diskette
    with CD-ROM support; boot the floppy, then use DOS commands to change to
    the CD, change to the I386 folder and run WINNT.EXE. With a bit of
    effort, you can make the CD (on which you put I386) itself bootable,
    then you don't even need the floppy. If you "borrow" a retail CD from
    someone else, you can include the [relatively few and unimportant] other
    components of the CD that are not in I386, but none of them are even
    needed to install the OS, they are just "add-ons" that most people never
    use or see. Note, you don't want to use the I386 folder from a retail
    CD, because your "product key" won't work with a retail I386 folder, and
    the activation process is different.

    Note, when installing Windows to a new system, the best way to do it is
    to first make the hard drive DOS-bootable to a "C:\>" prompt, then copy
    the installation folder (I386, or Win98 or Win9X) to the hard drive
    using the DOS XCOPY command, then actually do the install from the
    installation folder on the hard drive. Leave the installation folder on
    the hard drive permanently, so that you are never in a situation in
    which you ever need the OS CD (you may be ASKED for the CD on occasion,
    but just "point" the request to the installation folder on the hard drive).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 1, 2003

  2. One could argue that if you remember it, you didn't have enough!

    Barry Watzman, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Jeff Malka

    HPLeft Guest

    Thanks, Barry.

    Matt C

    HPLeft, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Jeff Malka

    Gary Tait Guest

    Whereas On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:06:52 +0100, Nuckfut <>
    scribbled:
    , I thus relpy:
    That is illegal thouugh, and as said, your OEM product key will not
    work with the retail OEM.

    Gary Tait, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Jeff Malka

    Gary Tait Guest

    Whereas On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:04:35 -0400, "Jeff Malka"
    Read the manual or whatever for your burning software. Generally, you
    will need either a bootable floppy, or the image from a bootable
    floppy.

    Gary Tait, Oct 1, 2003
  6. Jeff Malka

    Nuckfut Guest

    NO IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. You pay for the licence, not the media. Microsof
    couldn't give a rats arse what you use as the installation media as
    long as you're using a legitimate licence.

    Oh, and BTW, therre's no such thing as a retail OEM, there's OEM and
    there's RETAIL.

    Nuckfut, Oct 2, 2003
  7. Jeff Malka

    BillKirch Guest

    Hey, I remember when I had my first beer, too!

    David Letterman ..circa 1976. BG

    BillKirch, Oct 2, 2003