OEM vs Retail XP

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by TR, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. TR

    TR Guest

    I have just noticed that my new local build Desktop's version of XP is
    a lot different than the GW OEM version of XP on my 450 Laptop.

    The GW OEM version has a lot of stuff in the root directory that I
    have grown to accept as normal in all versions of Windows such as all
    your autoexec.xxx and config.xxx files not to mention a lot of other
    stuff. However, the retail version on my new local build has noting
    in the root what so ever. I look at drive C: on the Retail version
    and all I see are the directories:

    Program Files
    Documents and Settings
    Windows

    Nothing else. I look at the GW OEM version and there are the same
    three directories as in the retail version but also these directories:

    CABS
    RECYCLE
    System Volume Information
    plus all sorts of bats files, sys files, log files, reg files and a
    bunch of others.

    Now, both computers have the same identical programs on them. The
    only difference in what is one the GW Laptop and what is one the Local
    Build Desktop is that the Laptop has the OEM Version of XP and the
    Desktop has a Retail Version of XP. Also, both versions, the GW OEM
    and Retail version have the configuration set to show all files
    (hidden or otherwise) and show all file extensions.

    Both versions show in the System Information as being version 5.1.2600
    Service Pack 1 Build 2600

    They even have different themes to choose from along with different
    audio sounds to choose from.

    Is there that big a difference in the GW OEM version of XP and the
    Retail Version of XP?

    Regards,
    TR

    TR, Apr 19, 2004

  2. TR

    Softy Guest

    The difference is your folder settings. In the local build machine open My
    Computer, select Tools/Folder Options from the menu to open the Folder
    Options dialog. On the View tab, Select "Show hidden files and folders" and
    uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" (you will be warned against
    doing this, but ignore the warning - you can always change the setting back
    later). Click OK to close the dialog.You will now see (many of) those same
    files that you see on the Gateway.

    Softy, Apr 20, 2004

  3. TR

    TR Guest

    Like I said in the original post,
    Regards,
    TR

    TR, Apr 20, 2004
  4. TR

    Stuart Guest

    TR
    You may well find many of the items you were looking for in the Retail version in the Windows folder.
    Perhaps a search for one or two particular items would show you where they are.
    The OEM has some latitude where they place items in their build.
    Stuart

    Stuart, Apr 20, 2004
  5. TR

    TR Guest

    Yep, found that "Most" of the stuff that was in the root directory of
    the OEM version was placed in the Windows and Windows\System folders
    of the retail version. Strange......

    Regards,
    TR

    TR, Apr 21, 2004