off-topic: help finding intel cpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ed, Apr 30, 2011.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm in a bit of a pickle. I never really keep up with hardware that
    well, I'm more a software tinkerer. Currently I've got CPU envy, seem
    all the cool people out there are able to experiment with hardware
    virtualization whilst I'm stuck in the dark ages with emulation. So I'm
    looking for some help sourcing a replacement CPU.

    So at the moment I've got a Gigabyte 945PL-S3P motherboard, the CPU slot
    is Socket 775, but I've not been able to find any P4 CPU's on the normal
    sites in the UK.

    Would anyone know what I can get to replace my current P4 3.4GH with,
    the capabilities are listed as:

    boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge
    mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
    x86-64 constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cid
    cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm

    But there's no vmx - what's a good, hopefully inexpensive upgrade path?

    Many thanks

    Ed, Apr 30, 2011

  2. Ed

    AtariKSI

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Edison, NJ
    I prefer using real mode although I agree that virtualization is better than emulation. Problem with virtualization is that you try some time critical stuff and disable interrupts and they are only disabled for your task (sort of useless).

    Windows 98SE allowed for real mode DOS as well as 32-bit protected mode GUI-based computing. They should have kept real mode DOS in future Windows.

    AtariKSI, Jul 14, 2011