    to just buy a LCD Monitor? Do I need a tuner to access TV?

    My monitor has HDMI input and my Cable Box has HDMI output (I just have
    to buy a cable, I think).

    DaveN, Feb 12, 2009

  2. DaveN

    me/2 Guest

    :>I am in the process of replacing a widescreen LCD monitor and I am
    :>wondering if I can use the old one with my Digital Cable Box?
    :>
    :>Since LCD TVs are more expensive than monitors, is there any reason not
    :>to just buy a LCD Monitor? Do I need a tuner to access TV?
    :>
    :>My monitor has HDMI input and my Cable Box has HDMI output (I just have
    :>to buy a cable, I think).

    Should work just fine as long as the monitor supports the output
    resolution of the cable box. If it's a SD box you only need 480p. If
    it's a HD box you'll need 720p and 1080i support in the monitor. As
    long as it's not too old you should be okay. BTW, even if the monitor
    only supports VGA and DVI you can use a HDMI to DVI cable with no
    problems. My first cable box only had DVI output so I just used a DVI
    to HDMI cable to the HDMI input on my TV. DVI doesn't carry audio but
    my cable box audio is hooked up to a dolby digital receiver via an
    optical cable anyway.

    me/2

    me/2, Feb 13, 2009