    (P.S. Yes, I know it's possible to bypass Road Runner and set up
    your own wireless system, but until I understand how this technology works,
    I think I'll rely on Road Runner for awhile. I can afford it.)

    Observer3, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Observer3

    Observer3 Guest

    Let me add that the 2nd computer would be a desktop system, perhaps the
    Profile 4.

    Observer3, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Observer3

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not sure what RoadRunner can offer in the way of wireless, but it seems like
    there are only two possibilities. First possibility is that they install (or
    maybe just sell, and you install?) some sort of wireless hardware in your house
    and you can use wireless in the house and as far away as the WiFi access point
    and WiFi cards in the computers can signal. The other is that they offer you
    some sort of WiFi roaming and access priveleges.

    The former can also be done with existing the RoadRunner cable modem, simply
    adding an inexpensive WiFi-capable router (I like Linksys, but there are also
    other good brands) plus WiFi cards for whichever computers will have WiFi
    access. Routers like the Linksys also have one or more ports for your usual
    Category 5 Ethernet cable running at 10 or 100Mbits/sec speeds. You need a
    router anyway with most cable or DSL internet access to allow two or more
    computers to share the fat internet pipeline... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 28, 2003