[Off Topic] The new "Commodore Amiga Mini"

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Helpful Harry, Mar 24, 2012.

  1. It looks like the people who now own the "Commodore" and "Amiga" brands
    are STILL trying to sell ugly, badly desined rubbish with little actual
    relevance to Commodore, Amiga, C64, VIC-20, and / or selling equally dodgy
    emulation software.

    A very, very sad and slow death for a once great brand, and an example of
    what could have happened to Apple. :eek:(

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    From PCTechAuthority.com.au ...

    It's the first new Commodore machine in a long time
    It's nothing like the real Amiga though
    It's a bit of a Frankenstein, but here it is.

    The new Commodore Amiga Mini badges an Intel PC in a small case
    with the iconic branding of Amiga. Under the hood options vary,
    starting with an Intel Core i3-2130, moving up to the Core
    i7-2700K. For obvious reasons, it's a Mini-ITX board and there's
    1TB HDD or an SSD for storage.

    The thing isn't exactly slim, but the shape lends itself to a
    media box. There's a few things to consider here. Display ports
    are 2 x Dual-link DVI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x HDMI, and there's
    an Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1GB DDR3. Cooling is taken care of by
    2 x 40x40x10mm fans. And there's a Blu-Ray drive.

    Image: <http://i.haymarket.net.au/News/commodore-amiga-mini.jpg>

    It was the Commodore 64's 30th anniversary earlier this year -
    the fact that was even noticed by anyone is testament to the
    fond regard people have for the brand and that machine. The
    company who owns the rights to the Commodore name has also
    built new C64 hardware.

    The Commodore of 2012 isn't holding back on the hubris,
    previously telling the world via their web site they are
    "appalled by Apple revisionism".

    Here is their vision: "We call upon all those with fond
    memories of the Commodore and AMIGA brands, that are sick of
    the status quo in the current computing landscape, to join us
    in rekindling the magic that was Commodore and recreating a
    legend. With your help in spreading the word, your evangelism,
    your suggestions and your support, we hope to take the fight
    back to Apple, and to take on the ubiquitous PC vendors of
    the world, like Dell."

    Odd, given what brand this new Amiga evokes, but we applaud
    their efforts.

    The most Commodore-like thing about this is the OS. The
    machine is running Commodore OS Vision, a GNU/Linux system
    with some C64 and Amiga inspired touches. The company says it
    bundles "remakes of classic Commodore software" and features
    include launching "classic 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit era
    software via emulation".

    The Commodore site lists a barebones case for US$345 and
    US$1495 for the entry level model.
    <http://www.commodoreusa.net//CUSA_AMIGAmini.aspx>

    Specifications [Source: Commodore USA Web site]:

    MODEL:
    Commodore AMIGA mini

    CPU SUPPORT:
    Intel i7-2700k 3.5 Ghz Quad-Core (3.9Ghz Turboboost)

    MOTHERBOARD CORE LOGIC:
    Intel Z68 Express

    MEMORY:
    16Gb RAM DDR3 1333MHz

    HDD SUPPORT:
    1TB SATA Hard Disk Drive
    (Or optional 300 or 600 Gig SSD)

    VIDEO & GRAPHICS:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 GPU with 1GB DDR3

    NETWORKING:
    10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet port

    WIRELESS:
    802.11n (300 Mb/s) WiFi
    2 Antennae

    Helpful Harry, Mar 24, 2012

  2. Helpful Harry

    Király Guest

    Aren't you about nine days early on this?

    Király, Mar 24, 2012

  3. Helpful Harry

    Király Guest

    By george, you're right. After reading your post, and even clicking the
    link and reading the page, I thought the whole thing was a rather poorly
    executed attempt at humor. Hard to believe it's for real.

    Király, Mar 24, 2012
  4. I wish it was an April Fool's Day joke, but unfortauntely it isn't. :eek:(

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Mar 24, 2012
  5. When you vivist the website you can see there are even worse attrocities
    masquerading under the grand old names of "Commodore" ... an "updated C64"
    that looks like the original, but has a DVD drive in the side and is
    really just a Windows PC (or you could use Linux I guess). :eek:(

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Mar 24, 2012
  6. The correct spelling is designed.

    Chance Furlong, Mar 24, 2012
  7. Helpful Harry

    Alan Browne Guest

    Note that the "Lion Server" has a quad core i7, but only 2 GHz and up to
    8 GB ram (not sure it supports more RAM) - and is $1209. And it has
    pretty vanilla graphics.

    If the "AMIGA Mini" could be tortured to run OS X, it wouldn't be too
    bad at all.

    Alan Browne, Mar 24, 2012
  8. It's called a typo. :eek:\

    Helpful Harry :eek:)