off topic

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Burton Brooks, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. I installed my HD upside down by mistake. Will this cause any problems??
    Thanks.

    Burton Brooks, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Burton Brooks

    Ken Fox Guest

    just put all your data in backwards, and it will come out fine.

    ken
    ;-)

    Being as there are quite a few freestanding 7200 RPM IDE hard drives (and
    cases) sold that are intended to stand vertically, rather than horizontally,
    plus undoubtedly some freestanding RAIDs that also put the HDs in a vertical
    orientation, my impression is that it doesn't matter what position the drive
    is in as long as you don't move it while it is operating.

    Ken Fox, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Burton Brooks

    Ken Fox Guest

    p.s.

    why not just switch it around? It can't take more than 5 minutes, and you
    will likely eliminate a twisted IDE cable that if nothing else looks ugly
    and might be a pain to deal with when you do other upgrades or add an
    additional HD.

    Ken Fox, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Burton Brooks

    Egil Solberg Guest

    No. You can place it with any side down (all 6 sides).

    Egil Solberg, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Depends on the brand. Some may allow any orientation, but I have some that
    specifically forbid mounting with the circuit-board on top.

    MasterBlaster, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Burton Brooks

    Andy M Moore Guest

    It`s probably okay if you live in Oz............

    Andy M Moore

    Andy M Moore, Nov 21, 2003
  7.
    Harry Chapman, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Burton Brooks

    Rob Stow Guest

    The last standard I read for drive orientation was that
    the drives are supposed to be OK when they are within
    5 degrees of either the horizontal or the vertical. It
    didn't say anything about whether horizontal drives should
    have the circuit board on the top or the bottom.

    That standard was a few years back though - it may be
    out of date. I went looking for it back in the days
    when I had a bunch of DeskStar GXP's dying on me.

    Note also that just because a standard exists (existed ?),
    it does not follow that everyone always adheres to the
    standard. Play it safe and check out the manufacturer's
    web site and see if they have anything to say.

    Rob Stow, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Burton Brooks

    Dabeardad Guest

    Nah, just turn the monitor over!!
    OK, a show of hands from hotline guys that thought of this !!

    Dabeardad, Nov 24, 2003