Office 2007 Anybody? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jerry, Feb 1, 2008.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    No help needed - just venting - if you don't care, stop reading here.

    Recently installed Office Home and Student 2007 on my wife's new
    Christmas Dell Desktop. Actually getting the software delivered was
    another adventure - word to the wise - never order anything to be
    delivered by the USPS in the month before Christmas. I know, I could
    have walked into a B&M store and walked out with a copy, but I paid
    less than half price by ordering it through the MS Employee Purchase
    Plan, which I qualify for through work.

    Anyhoo, the new user interface takes a little getting used to, after a
    couple of weeks, we're starting to figure out what tab things are on.
    Turns out, if you like your old Office interface, there's a 3rd party
    add-on that adds a new custom tab with the old menus on it. Figure
    I'll just stick it out and learn the new interface. Should be fun
    switching back and forth since I use 2003 at work.

    First thing I did was configure all the apps to save in the Office
    2003 format instead of that new OOXML semi-standard, since my wife
    exchanges a lot of files with colleagues at school, seemed like the
    prudent thing to do. So far, so good. But, more on this subject later.

    So, she was working on a Powerpoint document, asked me to help her
    figure out how to put a hyperlinked website URL in the document.
    "Insert" tab seemed like a logical place to look, yep, there it was.
    The Hyperlink dialog box was smart enough to be able to access the
    browser history, made it real easy to find the address. Great, now
    lets click on the hyperlink to check it - nope, doesn't work.

    After 20 minutes of messing around trying various things, looking at
    Office Help, still no joy. Made my way to the MS support website,
    searched on "hyperlink", after about 10 more minutes of poking around
    there, found an article stating that Powerpoint 2007 hyperlinks may
    not work correctly when the document is saved in the Office 2003
    format. Great! The workaround - go to the hyperlink in the document,
    right-click, select Open Hyperlink. Great! <sarcasm intended>.

    I guess it's the usual thing you expect with new stuff from Microsoft
    - lots of broken things.

    Oh, and good luck figuring out how to open that new rounded-corner box
    - took me 5 minutes - I was _THIS_ far from using a hammer.

    If you made it this far, thanks for reading - I feel better now.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Jerry

    Keith Guest

    Still getting used to it as well

    Keith, Feb 2, 2008

  3. Jerry

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Well written post. I'm avoiding both 07 and Vista at this point so long as
    I have a choice.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    Consider yourself lucky in a very perverse way. You only spent $150 for Office
    Home and Student 2007 and you did not get one of the versions with Access, which
    breaks many back end data bases. You can imagine how thrilled corporate America
    is with this.

    I have used OpenOffice on a limited basis only on my road machine, and I have
    been able to read and write documents OK between it and this one... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 2, 2008
  5. Jerry

    S.Lewis Guest

    Are you saying that OO can deal with Office07 created files?

    S.Lewis, Feb 2, 2008
  6. Jerry

    MZB Guest

    Ben:

    I didn't think OO can deal with .docx and similar Office 2007 files. Has
    that changed?

    Mel

    MZB, Feb 2, 2008
  7. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not sure. I deals quite well with the older stuff, but I don't have any to
    try. Somebody send me a couple. A document and a spreadsheet... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 2, 2008
  8. Jerry

    Taken Guest

    Microsoft were kind enough to send me a copy of Office 2007 Pro, and it is
    taking a bit of getting used to (finding some options/commands on the ribbon
    has really frustrated me at some points), there've been a couple of
    surprises (as much as I hate the animated font effects, supporting them but
    with no means to edit/create them seems very weird to me), but on the whole
    I like it and think it's decent enough. And features that I badly wanted a
    while ago have been included, which is nice.

    Taken, Feb 2, 2008
  9. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Spent less than half that much, got it through the Employee Purchase
    Program at work.

    Not as good a deal as it used to be though. 5 years ago I was able to
    buy Office Pro for $20.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 4, 2008
  10. Jerry

    Journey Guest

    The 3rd party add-on is definitely worth it. Office 2007's user
    interface sucks. Good reason to go with Open Office or stick with
    Office 2003.

    Some exceptions:

    - One Note 2007 is a great app -- I love it.

    - Haven't checked it out yet, but in Access there is some kind of
    implementation of a multi-valued column. The DBA in me is excited
    about that but I don't have any database needs anymore.

    Otherwise, MS is royally f*ing up. I wonder if Gates wasn't involved.
    Egg on his face if he was.

    As someone said, there are chinks in MS's armor. I doubt anyone is
    going to capitalize on them.

    Apple should seriously consider licensing its OS right now while Vista
    is floundering, but that won't happen, unfortunately.

    Journey, Feb 5, 2008