Office 2007, Part Deaux

Discussion in 'Dell' started by journey, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. journey

    journey Guest

    I spent another day with Office 2007. I found myself wanting to go to
    menus often, although when I finally did figure out where the new
    functions are.

    In some ways MS is going backwards (or forwards in an inferior way
    than in the past). The help system is an example. The .chm help
    files with Contents, Index, and Search is much better than what they
    offer now.

    There seems to be only one customizable bar (I could be wrong).

    In the past I was a computer programmer / database analyst, and used
    VBA and many other higher-end capabilities of Word, but now I'm mearly
    a user creating simple documents, and for that it works well for me.

    I am more surprised by new features or ways of doing things than I am
    irritated by not being able to find features that I easily knew were
    on particular menus.

    I am still very irritated that the bullet alignment under Windows 97
    (which didn't have an indent -- the bullet was right below the line
    above) has an indent. I will probably live with it rather than trying
    to change the normal template

    For IT shops supporting it should be much easier. For most users they
    will probably be able to discover and use more functions more easily.

    So, for me, IE7 is a disaster, Office 2007 I like, and Vista no
    experience yet -- hopefully a pleasant surprise.

    journey, Dec 3, 2006

  2. journey

    journey Guest

    I forgot to mention that it's slow as molasses on a P4 compared to
    Office 97, but 97 and Office 2007 can co-exist.

    journey, Dec 4, 2006

  3. journey

    Notan Guest

    I guess I'm still not seeing how "Microsoft clearly did a great job."

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 4, 2006
  4. journey

    journey Guest

    I agree, I overstated it. I think it's mixed, and I think there will
    probably be a strong split between those who like and who don't like
    it.

    The "mini format toolbar" that shows up after selecting text doesn't
    have underline, and that toolbar is not customizable. I often use
    underline instead of bold because often it's hard to distinguish bold
    on documents for certain fonts.

    So far, for me, it's an improvement, but I wonder if Microsoft could
    have made two interfaces - a classic and the new one. After all, the
    icons and selections are objects, so there probably shouldn't be that
    much extra code to implement (easy for me to say, I don't have to do
    it).

    I would imagine that the extra screen real estate that the "ribbons"
    take up would really cramp the document area on a XGA or WXGA
    resolution.

    journey, Dec 4, 2006
  5. journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    Rather than going forward or backward with Office 2007, could it be said that
    Micrsoft is going sideways? Waffling, perhaps? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 4, 2006
  6. journey

    journey Guest

    In the promotion of Office 2007 and Vista, MS seems to be targeting
    businesses a lot.

    Maybe that's because they have the consumer part already held hostage
    -- all consumer PC's will have Vista by default I would guess, but
    corporations will want to cost justify any upgrade (at least until MS
    says they will stop supporting an older product).

    From a business perspective, Office 2007 might initially generate more
    internal calls for support or even training, but long-term, having a
    more or less "fixed" format for the ribbons will make support easier.

    I haven't (and won't) look at the business collaboration and revision
    history parts of the new Office. They may be more robust than prior
    versions.

    So, I think to maximize their revenue stream, MS had to produce
    something that would appeal to businesses.

    journey, Dec 4, 2006
  7. journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    And that a larger software footprint must be how MS developers achieve an
    annual bonus.....

    S.Lewis, Dec 4, 2006
  8. journey

    Notan Guest

    It's unfortunate, but along with massive amounts of system memory, enormous hard
    drives, etc., comes no need to write tight code.

    Gone are the good old days. :-(

    Notan

    (My first languages, after English and a bit of French, were machine and assembly.)

    Notan, Dec 4, 2006
  9. journey

    journey Guest

    The placement of things has soem serious flaws. To get to general
    options, one has to go to the drop down box of the quick access
    toolbar (which doesn't make sense), and then realize that the options
    are above the bar. There may be another way to get to them.
    Mine too, except English, Spanish, and Japanese. Computer: 6502
    (Apple II) assembler (ack), IBM Mainframe assembly language (MVC
    anyone?), Basic (Commodore Pet w Tape input), COBOL (and everything
    mainframe), Fortran, PLI, C, C++ (but no MFC), Java, VB, VB.NET, C#,
    and a DBA / Data Analyst for about 5 years.

    After all that I decided I hated any kind of IS career. I got burned
    out from wearing a pager non-stop and getting called multiple times /
    night to support systems for 3 large corporations that merged (the
    ones under Philip Morris, the evil cigarette company).

    journey, Dec 4, 2006