Office Deppt bait and switch

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Hal Greenlee, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Hal Greenlee

    Hal Greenlee Guest

    Office Depot advertises this week in their Sunday newspaper suppliment, on the
    front page, a laptop for $279.99. Price good until 8/05/06.

    This ad is deceptive in that there is a $70 hidden fee. It states in the
    fineprint that shipping and handling are additional, but the amount is not
    given. And that while the item must be ordered instore, it is available by
    delivery only.

    It mis-states that one can save $480 with the discounts offered. That is
    plainly untrue; the savings cannot be more than $410.

    The ad plainly states that the base configuration price is $279.99. The
    local store manager explained that most of the $70 was for configuration,
    which in fact is not even required.

    This ad is designed to draw people to the local store, only at which time
    they are told of the 25% add-on.

    This is a level of deception I have not seen from Office Depot until recently.
    I will no longer do business with them as they have wasted my time, gas and
    patience.

    Hal

    Hal Greenlee, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Hal Greenlee

    mikeyp Guest

    personally, i have never ben to an office depot althouth they are
    putting a store in my area here soon. im sorry to hear about what they
    did to you.

    mikeyp, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Hal Greenlee

    Notan Guest

    While the ad is certainly deceptive, it's not "bait and switch."

    "Bait and switch" is when a store advertises a certain product, tells you they
    don't have that product in stock, then pushes you towards a higher priced product.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Hal Greenlee

    Jim Guest

    I have found Office Depot to always "bend over backwards" to make the
    customer satisfied, no matter how much money they lose on that one
    sale. You may have to call the local area manager, not the store
    manager, discuss it with him. If no satisfaction, go to corporate and
    they have always come through to my amazement.

    Barring that, don't let them get away with it, file a complaint with
    local state consumer protection agency, it will mean a hassle filling
    out forms, but you may eventually cost them BUNDLES of money.

    Forget Better Business BUreau, they are the foxes guarding the
    henhouse, like government regulatory agencies, in bed with the people
    they are supposed to regulate.

    In one case, an employee had marked a digital camera wrong, some $300+
    less than it should have been. Store manager said sorry, could do
    nothing. I called local district office, told them story, they
    verified it with store manager, said they would call corporate and
    call me back.

    Following Monday the package arrived, they took the $300 loss, no
    problem, I paid the error price. They usually have a 30 day no
    questions asked return policy, best in the industry as far as I have
    experienced.

    Hold them to the grindstone, make them honor the ad.

    Jim, Aug 6, 2006