    into exotic cooling solutions and don't need to up the cpu or ram
    voltage. Let's say I ran the i7 860 at 3.4GHZ too, clock for clock how
    much faster is the i7 compared to my C2D E6850?

    Daffy Duck, Nov 11, 2009

  2. Daffy Duck

    Daffy Duck Guest

    As a service to anyone else considering the same question:

    Read this and then decide.

    http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=857&p=0

    The article has me convinced to buy i5 750 instead of i7 860 because it
    is a better bang-for-buck upgrade. Ordered i5 750 ($219.99 CAD), Asus
    P7P55D LE mb ($149.99 CAD), and G.Skill Ripjaw CAS7 2x2GB DDR3
    1600($128.49 CAD, splurged a bit here and could have ordered lesser ram
    for $90.00 CAD).

    Daffy Duck, Nov 12, 2009

  3. Daffy Duck

    peter Guest

    Being Canadian and looking to buy some new parts may
    I ask where you purchased...those prices are pretty good from what
    I've seen.

    peter

    peter, Nov 13, 2009
  4. newegg.ca

    If you bundle the mb and cpu together they give you $15.00 off.

    Yesterday I also ordered Seasonic S12 850w PSU for $139.99 (after $20.00
    mail in rebate) and Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu heatsink/fan for $79.99 from
    NCIX.com. I read the article at legion hardware on how to OC the i5 750
    to 4.2GHZ so bought the same hardware they used to try and achieve the
    same OC.

    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 13, 2009
  5. I play lots of simulations so I disagree with your assessment because
    lots of games I play are cpu ungry and not just gpu hungry. I don't buy
    dual video cards anyway because next year there will be a new video card
    that will equal or surpass the dual video cards.

    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 13, 2009
  6. Daffy Duck

    peter Guest

    Thanks...I usually buy from NCIX.
    must have missed that deal

    peter

    peter, Nov 14, 2009
  7. The Noctua HSF at $79.99 is the usual price at both newgg.ca and
    ncix.com but the Seasonic S12 850w PSU is a very good price and is still
    on sale at that price now. Seasonic PSUs are about as good as they get too.

    Wile E. Coyote, Nov 14, 2009
  8. Daffy Duck

    peter Guest

    I usually buy Thermalright CPU Coolers and add my own Fan.
    I am in no rush to purchase..just going the research now

    peter

    peter, Nov 15, 2009