Ok, I'm lazy but...

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I always get the best info here.

    I've got a Phenom 9500 machine here for a couple days. A mate bought it as a
    'gaming machine' but with no anti-virus installed it only took a few weeks
    to become unusable. I've built and set up all his machine's previously so
    he's bought it to me to get me to partition the HDD (they'd left it as one
    500GB partition, hadn't even taken the jumper off the Seagate Bara 7,200.11
    that limits the drive to 1.5GB/sec), reinstall windows and set it up as best
    I can.

    I don't want to have to learn all about ANDs latest CPUs and monitoring
    software, overclocking methods etc. I've only just got my head around
    Intel's Core CPUs. However, he'd like a CPU core temp monitoring utility
    installed, sitting in the systray if possible. It's got the stock cooler on
    the CPU and it looks just like my old Barton cooler.

    It's got a relatively budget Asus mobo in it, an M3A and man, the
    'northbridge' gets really hot just idling. Too hot to hold a finger on. The
    heatsink is only 30mm x 30mm so I don't have a suitable fan for it (except
    my neat little aluminium-bodied 5V Panasonic fan that I saved out of an old
    laptop. However, I'd prefer to keep that for if *I* ever need a little,
    reliable fan).

    So can anyone advise on an accurate temp monitoring utility for AMD's
    Phenoms?

    TIA,

    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
    Yeah, I could. However, he's promised me a few bucks to 'sort' it for him.
    As an invalid on a benefit I can't turn down a few bucks. :-(
    I know, I gave him shit about that, considering I built all his machines
    since the first Pentium days and they've always run just fine. He said it
    was an impulse buy. He was walking past a shop and saw the deal and decided
    that he'd replace the last system I built for him, a Barton/nForce2 rig.
    (He's selling his Barton rig to his sister at 'family rates' and is going to
    give me what he gets for it to set this machine up for him).
    In his defence (I don't know why I'm defending him. LOL) in the past I've
    set up every machine he's used with AVG, Adaware and Spybot *before* he got
    them. He claims that he didn't realise the importance of AV etc. until now.
    He's just taken it for granted that, when he gets a machine, it'll be fine
    to plug in and use. Heh, I mean, if he knew more then I wouldn't get a few
    bucks every now and then when he needs me to upgrade/rebuild/ or in this
    case re-install for him.

    They say that it's the young 'uns who know all about computers and us old
    farts are luddites. However, I've known this guy since the week he was born
    over 24 years ago. I also flatted and was in business with his (solo) father
    when he was an adolescent and have always been a friend to him. If not, if
    it was someone else, I'd tell them to take their machine and go whistle....

    I already berated him for not getting an Intel machine and bringing
    unfamiliar tech to me. I explained that it's not like the old days when all
    systems were more similar, variations on a theme. Now there are a lot more
    differences between Intel and AMD and the knowledge required for fine-tuning
    isn't so portable. He wants me to consider overclocking it for him (with a
    suitably upgraded cooler). I have declined (for now at least).
    Hmmm, OK. CoreTemp not play well with nVidia chipsets? I have a P5K-E and a
    C2D and have CoreTemp start with Windows, minimised to the systray.

    Thanks for your reply Phil. Hopefully someone can help me, I don't have a
    lot of time to put into this. Unfortunately I just got a new HDD (Seagate
    Bara 7,200.11, 500GB, 32MB cache) to replace a 320GB and have been in the
    process of moving all my HDDs 'down the chain', upgrading each of my
    machines. However, the new drive is giving me bluescreens and I'm getting an
    ominous report from SpeedFan's S.M.A.R.T. monitor (cut'n pasted below).
    Neither SpinRite6 or the latest Seatools can find any HDDs through the ICH9R
    so I'm waiting on the retailer to send me a replacement, so I can try doing
    a clone job (with Acronis) and then send them the 'old' one back.

    Cheers, S.M.A.R.T. report follows:

    +++++++++++++++++++++++

    NOTE : your hard disk has 1 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't
    be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write
    operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the
    Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available
    spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap
    operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best
    option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that
    sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

    NOTE : your hard disk has 1 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors
    that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process
    that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough
    idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable
    sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write
    command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    number3 Guest

    http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

    number3, Apr 16, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Apr 16, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
    Thanks. I've got Speedfan on it but it doesn't pick up the CPU cores. Just
    the three mobo monitored temps (NB, SB and case?), the GPU and the HDD.

    I can't find one that will minimise to the tray and show core temp like
    CoreTemp does on Intels. :-(

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Doesn't ASUS PCProbe come on the the support CD that came with the
    motherboard? You should be able download it from the ASUS web site if
    not.

    Rodney Pont, Apr 16, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rodney Pont" typed:
    Actually I thought of that but didn't try it. I will. I have a P5KE-WiFi/AP
    running a C2D and a P5PE-VM also running a C2D and Asus Probe(/II) is crap.
    It reports board temps and some figure for CPU that changes wildy with each
    new BIOS and doesn't seem to relate to the actual CPU temp so I didn't try
    it earlier. Perhaps it'll do better on that baord. I have the mobo CD...

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Asus have version 1.04.23 on their web site. I don't know if that's
    later than the one on the CD, it's the 2007/09/05 update.

    Rodney Pont, Apr 16, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rodney Pont" typed:
    Cool, thanks for that. I haven't got around to it yet, I might try the new
    version if the CD one is crap.

    ~misfit~, Apr 16, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:
    Yeah, it's done that for a few builds now. I've got it (ver. 4.33, newest
    stable) showing the NB temp on that machine which is by far the hottest
    thing in the case. It reached 78°C yesterday and only has a little 30mm x
    30mm passive heat sink on it. I burned my finger touching it. Amazingly
    having a small fan blowing on it doesn't seem to help much. Nor did
    replacing the thermal pad (which I "broke" anyway while fixing the fan to
    it) with AS. It's my opinion that it needs a much bigger HS on it. However,
    it has these two dinky little loops for the HS to fix to and i can't find an
    after-market 'sink to replace it with. At least not in NZ, in the stores I
    have bookmarked.

    Speedfan doesn't pick up any readings for the CPU which I've not managed to
    push over 54°C with Prime 25.5. Interestingly, the machine failed Prime with
    the BIOS all on defaults. I had to set the vcore up two notches to get it
    Prime stable. It didn't seem to effect the CPU temp (read via HWMonitor) at
    all so that's good.
    HWMonitor reports four temps under the category Phenom 9500 and they do vary
    slightly compared with each other, never more than a degree or so though.
    It's just a shame that it doesn't minimise to the tray, a la Speedfan.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 17, 2008