OK to use 16-bit instead of 32-bit color?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Don, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    QUESTION-1:
    I there any advantage of setting 16 bit color instead of 32 bit color in
    XP's Display Settings?

    QUESTION-2:
    My PC is a bit slow and I was wondering if this would help the PC by
    taking a load off it somewere. Is this right?

    Alternatively, perhaps going from 32 to 16 would help free up memory and
    provide more stability?

    QUESTION-3:
    If I did this then would I notice the difference in colors in some
    applications?

    Thank you.

    I am running this:
    XP Pro/SP2
    VIA 266a mobo with Duron 1800 and 768 MB.
    Old GeForce2 4 MB graphics card.
    XO's display setting is 1152x864 at 72 MHz.

    Don, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Don

    Conor Guest

    1) No.
    2) No.
    2b)None that you can use.
    3) DEFINITELY.

    Conor, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Don

    Paul Guest

    Your questions hint that you already know the answers.
    Sure, reducing color depth means less info to shuffle
    around, at the expense of display quality for images.

    The best answer is to test it yourself and see. It won't
    take long to test it. Make sure to use whatever image or
    video programs you use, so you can see the effect it has.

    As for a complaint about slow performance, is it video performance
    that is slow, or the whole computer that is slow ? For the
    video card, you can download Powerstrip from Entechtaiwan.com ,
    and use their Options window to check your video card settings.
    (I think you can evaluate the program for some length of time,
    but mine expired long ago.) This is the screen you'd be
    interested in (Options:Adapter Info). It tells you whether
    certain things are set in the hardware. For example, a
    Transfer Mode: Disabled, would be a bad thing. DMA or DIME is OK.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpfix/powerstrip2.gif

    When the whole computer is slow, sometimes that is caused
    by the hard drive being in PIO mode, instead of DMA. PIO
    mode reduces data transfer rate to 4MB/sec and increases
    program loading times. Another cause would be if the
    processor caches are disabled, but it is pretty hard to
    manage to do that to a system.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Don

    Jack Guest

    Why don't you just change it and find out?

    Jack, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Don

    kony Guest

    Not with your video card, but with some integrated video it
    would reduce memory throughput requirements.

    Gaming might be faster in 16 bit mode, "maybe" playing back
    very high resolution video, but otherwise no.

    No, if you have video related instability changing with a
    change to/from 16 or 32 bit mode, I'd suspect the
    application as the cause, or maybe the video driver (but
    this is doubtful, there are no reports of any such problems
    with any remotely recent nVidia driver AFAIK).

    Yes, in 16 bit mode it's fairly easy to see banding in color
    gradients. You should use 32bit unless 16 is required to
    sustain a playable framerate in a game.

    All Geforce2 cards have more than 4MB memory. IIRC, 32MB
    was the least.

    kony, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Don

    CBFalconer Guest

    That depends on usage. My primary purpose is text, and I find that
    using 256 color settings improves the visibility of low intensity
    text. In addition I am partially color-blind. Just try things.

    CBFalconer, Dec 17, 2006
  7. I found that when I changed the color depth to 16-bit it lengthend my
    laptop's battery life a little (just in case you're talking about a laptop).

    ---Matthew Hicks

    Matthew Hicks, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Don

    DaveW Guest

    Yes, reducing the color bits will take a load off of your old underpowered
    video card.

    DaveW, Dec 19, 2006
  9. Don

    kony Guest

    False. Either the card has enough fill rate or it doesn't,
    a GF2 is quite more than enough for 2D work. It's merely
    too slow for semi-modern gaming or assisted HD video.

    kony, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Don

    Don Guest

    You know my video card better than I do!

    I was going from memory and I should have said "MX 400" rather than "4
    MB". I don't think I know the GeForce's memory.

    All I know from my hardware reporting tools is that the video card's
    BIOS is v3.11 which dates from July 26, 2000.

    Don, Dec 22, 2006
  11. Don

    Don Guest

    I know wat you say is the acid test but it may be that the difference
    only occurs under certain circumstances and fnally when that happens
    then I would not what the image looked like under the alternative
    setting!

    Don, Dec 22, 2006