Ok... which drivers do I need?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Dennis, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    HERE'S THE CHALLENGE... ARE YOU UP FOR IT?

    I have an Asus A8N Premium. I reinstalled Windows XP (SP3) but I've
    lost the mobo's CD (dont try this at home).

    Currently these are the devices in Device Manager that are "alerting".
    THE CHALLENGE: Provide a direct link for that will resolve each of the
    device manager problems below:

    - Other PCI Bridge Device

    - PCI Input Device

    - PCI Memory Controller

    - RAID Controller (i dont care.. dont need raid)

    - Multimedia Audio Controller (i dont care, I suspect this will be
    solved when
    I install the creative augidy drivers for my soundcard)

    - SM Bus Controller (i tried an nvidia 'chipset' driver from asus but
    it didnt work)

    - "Unknown Device"

    (pls try it before you suggest I just go to the asus site... it's not
    that easy)

    Big thanks to anyone who can help... I'm very frustrated with Asus
    right now

    Dennis, Mar 23, 2009

  2. Dennis

    WDS Guest

    Did you run Microsoft Update? It often will do hardware drivers too.

    WDS, Mar 23, 2009

  3. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    For the record, I'm A+ certified, MCSA, CCNA... I work in IT

    Yes I've run Windows Update....now.... are you up for the challenge?

    Dennis, Mar 23, 2009
  4. Dennis

    Capn Queeg Guest

  5. Dennis

    Roger Hunt Guest

    I had a look and recoiled at the complexity.
    I Googled and Ixquicked for a torrent of the driver CD and drew a blank,
    but might have spent more time searching ...
    Same with a couple of ftp search engines.

    Asus used to offer the CD for sale at <http://estore.asus.com>, for
    US & Canada only, for $5 + shipping, but they don't any more by the
    look of it. I only found a dead link -
    <http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp...=259&catid=136>
    from -
    <http://www.motherboardpoint.com/asus-support-cd-a8n-sli-premium-
    t56255.html>
    (watch the wrap)

    Sorry I can't pin it down, but it *must* be out there somewhere.

    Roger Hunt, Mar 23, 2009
  6. Dennis

    Paul Guest

    I take it this is "A8N-SLI Premium" ? You left off the SLI part.
    That is important for me to get the right chipset.

    Try this. Use the Nvidia site. Get your chipset driver there.
    There could be tick boxes during driver install, to select
    the components of the package you want to use. For example,
    you can install the Nvidia IDE or use the Microsoft default,
    depending on whether you tick the box for it or not.

    Do this one, and then get back to us. ("Legacy", "nForce 4 Series",
    "nForce4 SLI Intel", "Windows XP", "English (US)".) This
    should at least resolve your SMBUS, and you can update your
    list of missing crap, and we can try again.

    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

    15.23 chipset driver, WinXP 32 bit. 51MB
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp_15.23.html

    Windows XP 32-bit Driver Versions:

    * Ethernet Driver (v67.89) WHQL
    * Network Management Tools (v67.91) "Sedona"
    * SATAIDE Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL
    * SATARAID Driver (v10.3.0.42) WHQL
    * RAIDTOOL Application (v10.3.0.42)
    * SMU Driver (v1.61) WHQL
    * SMBus Driver (v4.69) WHQL
    * Away Mode Driver (v6.0.6000.107) WHQL
    * Installer (v6.14)

    If you disable your AC'97 codec in the BIOS, it'll be
    one less blemish in Device Manager to look at. Same goes
    for SIL3114R RAID Controller if you aren't using it.

    By the way, I just tested (Sunday evening), and my download
    from Asus came via Akamai, and at 500KB/sec. No complaint right
    now, with either support.asus.com.tw or with the actual
    Akamai machine doing the download. (Earlier this week,
    the download was via a non-Akamai machine, and that was dog
    slow, below 20KB/sec and with lots of duplicate ACK
    packets showing in Wireshark.) Asus has the ability to
    switch over, but they don't like to, as then they'll
    get a big bandwidth bill from Akamai.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 23, 2009
  7. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Big thanks for the help guys. Sorry I've been a bit frustrated
    tonight, IMO they should really just have a tool you can run that
    senses what you need and installs it (like the cd does). I'm going to
    try these links now.

    Dennis, Mar 23, 2009
  8. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Ok... big thanks go to Capn Queeg, some of those were good links, much
    appreciated (btw what is dlcdnet?) ... I've tried all links... these
    issues remain according to the WinXP Device Manager:

    - Multimedia Audio Controller (ive tried multiple "realtek"
    downloads... havent tried my "creative augidy" drivers yet though...
    do I even need mobo drivers before my pci creative soundblaster will
    work properly for 5.1?)

    - PCI Input Device (this is the one I'm mostly concerned about -
    What's this mean IN ENGLISH? is this my creative soundcard?)

    - RAID Controller (I dont care unless it's affecting my normal ide/
    sata drives)

    Dennis, Mar 23, 2009
  9. Dennis

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    It's been a while since I installed an A8N-SLI (mine wasn't the Premium),
    but I believe that the main thing that you need is the nVidia chipset
    drivers. (The system will function to some level without them.)

    There's a more recent version of the chipset drivers available from nVidia:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp_15.23.html

    (for the nForce 4 SLI "legacy" chipset) but I'm not sure that they offer
    practical advantages over the older drivers available through Asus.

    If you're not planning to use the onboard audio, Silicon Image disk
    controller, or the RAID feature of the nVidia chipset, you won't need any of
    that stuff. I suggest that you disable disused hardware in the BIOS
    settings, so that XP won't want drivers for it.

    Not to defend Asus, but: perhaps other manufacturers make an .iso of their
    installation CDs available for download, but I've never seen one. I rarely
    use the installation CD anyway, as newer driver versions are usually
    available for download.

    Bob Knowlden, Mar 23, 2009
  10. Dennis

    Paul Guest

    dlcdnet is the Asus download server. It replaces the multiple options
    they used to have. It hides whatever they're using as today's provider.
    Disable AC'97 in the BIOS. Boot and install your Creative drivers.
    (If you wanted to use the onboard, you'd use Queeg's ALC850 link,
    as that is a RealTek part number.)
    Evidence here says it is associated with the Soundblaster.

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1035844.html
    Nforce4 has four SATA ports and is RAID capable.
    The mode can be changed in the BIOS usually. The IDE
    also comes off that Southbridge.

    The separate SIL3114R has four SATA ports. If you set
    "Silicon SATA Controller" to [Disabled] in the BIOS,
    that will save some startup time in the BIOS, and
    will also remove an item from Device Manager. If you
    want to use it, then use Queeg's 3114 links, or you
    can go to the SIL website.

    (Select SIL3114 from menu)
    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx

    (Results)
    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3&os=4

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 23, 2009
  11. Dennis

    Capn Queeg Guest

    As noted by others if you are not using a feature such as the built-in
    soundcard and RAID disable them in your BIOS setup.

    I don't know if you need the RAID enabled (and drivers) for the IDE or not.
    In order to use EIDE I had to enable RAID on my P5K. I've since gotten rid
    of the EIDE DVD-RW and replaced it with a SATA drive.

    If you do not actually have RAID drives installed Windows may report the
    device as non-functioning.

    When ever I built a new system (or rebuilt an old one) I go to the support
    website and download all the latest drivers and burn them onto a CD
    beforehand.

    While convenient the install CD that comes with a motherboard is always out
    of date.

    Capn Queeg, Mar 23, 2009
  12. Dennis

    Jim E Guest

    pci input device will be the game controller probably........it usually is!

    when you do find the audio driver you can use update dricver and it will
    find the game conrtroller driver in among the audio drivers.

    if you use your audigy simply set the bios onboard sound to disabled

    Jim E, Mar 24, 2009
  13. Dennis

    Jim E Guest

    Jim E, Mar 24, 2009