Old ASUS A7V + Silicon Image PCI Sata Controller problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by FuXi, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. FuXi

    FuXi Guest

    Hello!

    Pci cards in my system: Sondblaster Live! Player, Realtek PCI Fast
    Ethernet, SATA Controller, Hauppauge WINTV

    I have a Manhattan Mercury Serial ATA Controller (Silicon Image
    SIL3112ACT144) in PCI Slot 2 (newest SATALink-Bios, current drivers).
    Bios Version of the Motherboard is 1011. The Bios-Settings for the PCI
    Bus are default.
    When I install Windows 2000 in a 3GB partiton on the sata drive
    (Seagate Barracuda, 120GB), everything is ok until the first start of
    Windows. Here I sometimes get a bluescreen, that says that Windows is
    unable to load either "tcpip.sys" or "rdbss.sys". Next I press the
    reset key. This time Windows starts up (most times).
    Next problem is, when i copy a large amount of data from the ide drive
    (Western Digital, 40GB) to the sata drive, i get data corruption and
    crc errors. When i use "chkdsk" on the sata drive, it has to repair
    the "Mirror of the Master File Table" and the "volume bitmap".

    My question is, if there is a problem with the PCI-Bus settings in the
    Bios, or if the error is to search elsewhere (where?).

    Thank you for your help
    FuXi

    FuXi, Nov 7, 2003

  2. FuXi

    BoB Guest

    When I set a controller card I try to find out what slot would have shared
    irq/dma channels with the raid version of that mobo!
    I hope I never see those damn Live cards again!
    For W2k, non-PNP OS, I would pull everything except vid card and get the
    sata on the irq from the bios post where it doesn't share.
    Add the other cards back in later, one at a time!
    Some combinations just never seem to work right.

    BoB, Nov 7, 2003

  3. FuXi

    FuXi Guest

    Thank you very much for your answer! I pulled every card out exept
    sata. Next i tried to start windows, but i got a black screen with an
    exeption before windows could boot up. I put the sata controller into
    another slot, system hangs after sata bios report.
    So, the controller only "works" in pci slot 2 (shares irq with onboard
    promise ide, which i don't use) with all cards plugged in (funny
    thing). Bios post shows promise and sata on irq 10, windows shows
    promise on 10 and sata on 9.
    I still don't believe its a resource conflict. In my opinion, its a
    wrong PCI-Bus setting in Bios.
    Another problem is: There are several bios files for the Silicon Image
    chipset. One is the SataRaid Bios, the other is the SataLink Bios.
    Both work for my card (Silicon Image SIL3112ACT144 Chip). Which one
    should i use? I bought the controller as Sata without raid, but
    originally there was a Raid-Bios installed on the Controller and Raid
    drivers on the CD.

    Thank you for any tip
    FuXi

    FuXi, Nov 7, 2003
  4. FuXi

    F.N Guest

    It may be a driver issue, in fact, it most likely is. For win2k, are
    you using the latest SP, and the latest VIA drivers (all but the
    ATAPI/IDE ones). Win2k is smart enough to handle IRQs/DMAs, assuming
    you installed with pnp OS on, and your not using the old mode.
    I also have read that the Hauppauge drivers cause conflicts in some
    other devices.

    Btw, which A7v is it exactly? Is it a A7v133 v1.05. or ??

    F.N, Nov 8, 2003