old computer wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paul, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I was asked to help a friend with his computer but I really dont have
    any experiance with older computers and I need help to figure this
    thing out.

    I dont know many specs of the computer but I will list as many as I
    can

    Processor: PentiumPRO 200mhz
    HDD: 3.1GB
    Base Memory: 640k
    Extended memory: 31744k

    and thats about all I know.

    I start up the computer it counts the memory and then detects the HD
    everything looks fine.

    Then on the second screen where it lists the memory, CPU, etc...

    I get EDO DRAM at Row: 0, 1, 2, 3

    and thats it. I tried putting a bootable windows 2000 cd but nothing
    the cd light just stayed on.

    I think it previously had windows 95 on it but I'm not sure the person
    who had the computer dosent know much about it.

    any suggestions?

    Paul, Apr 16, 2004

  2. given the specs, it is not likely that this PC supports bootable CDs. A
    bootable windows 98 floppy should do the trick. Then, with that, you can
    format and execute the winnt file in the i386 directory of the win2k disk.

    --Don

    BTW: with only 32 megs of RAM, it will prolly run like S*** with windows
    2000. If you want an NT based OS, NT Workstation 4 would probably be best,
    otherwise I would suggest Windows 98.

    Donald McMorris - Ospitare International, Apr 16, 2004