old ITE RAID bios on GA-8KNXP rev 2

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Ronald, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    I use the ITE8212 chipset with bios version 1.41 onboard the GA-8KNXP Rev 2.
    with system bios FH.
    For Windows XP I use the latest ITE RAID driver 1.7.1.92, manufactured by
    ITE and certified by MS.
    In Windows eventlog the following msg keeps turning up:
    "The driver has detected that device \Device\Scsi\iteraid1 has old or
    out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result."
    Time for a ITE RAID Bios upgrade I thought.
    I checked the Gigabyte site, nothing about Bios upgrade for RAID.
    Checked the ITE-website, they have at least 3 newer BIOS versions for the
    ITE8212 chipset, the latest being 1.7.1.92 (aha, the same release number as
    my Windows driver release number).
    Dowloaded the binary file and ITEFLASH, made a boot disk and while crossing
    my fingers started the flash.

    1. ITE 8212 chipset detected: OK (so far so good)
    2. Binary input file validated (this might work)
    3. Erase BIOS: OK (now its getting tricky)
    4. Blank check: Failed (Not good !)
    5. Program BIOS: OK (Is this my lucky day ?)
    6. Verify BIOS: Failed (Oh no, do I have a bootable system left ?)
    7. Press any key to reboot

    Thankfully the system rebooted with the old RAID Bios 1.41 again.
    I think I had a narrow escape here.

    For the moment I think I leave the Bios for what is, no matter what XP says,
    or has anyone any clever ideas ?

    Regards, Ronald

    Ronald, Mar 3, 2005

  2. You can't flash using that method, the ITE BIOS is programmed by Gigabyte
    and can't be upgraded. The binary file you downloaded was for add-in cards.

    Richard Dower, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm stuck
    with this bios ?

    Ronald, Mar 3, 2005
  4. Ronald

    Kris Vorwerk Guest

    Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm stuck

    Correct.

    I used to run my linux system off the 8212f ... But the performance was
    miserable and the driver support was poor (at best). Last year, I
    ditched everything and reinstalled, using just the plain ol' IDE,
    thereby making my life much simpler (with no difference in performance).

    Oddly enough, I bought this mobo because, at the time, I liked (and
    initially used) some of its features. But after 2 years of on-and-off
    use (well, 1 year of continuous use if you count the fact that my first
    8KNXP mobo died), I've removed the DPS2, don't use the 8212F, and
    generally regret having dished out the extra money for the 8KNXP when an
    MSI Neo, at half the price, probably would have sufficed. ;)

    Kris

    Kris Vorwerk, Mar 3, 2005
  5. Interesting that you say this. I was having spurious interrupts (sent mouse/keyboard crazy) when running off the 8212F on Linux and ended up installing SATA drives.

    Brendan

    Brendan S (Scratch User), Mar 3, 2005

  6. No Pester them like I did, I have had 1.7 for some time now..

    Also lets my chose what Drive to boot from..

    They led me to believe it would soon be out.

    Mind is for the GA-8I875 Ultra same board and Rev as the GA-8KNXP but
    with out the power thing..

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 4, 2005
  7. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Yes, that did cross my mind. But since GB doesnt supply upgrades I'm
    Which email address you used for pestering (lol). How long ago was this ?

    Regards, Ronald

    Ronald, Mar 4, 2005
  8. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Kris, I bought this board as a replacement for a MSI board with RAID which
    died on me. My experience is that experiencies can vary (lol).
    Use RAID for mirroring, so performance isn't too big an issue.
    I like the board, stable, i dont OC, with good fan-control via SpeedFan.

    Lets see if I can pester GB too, to get a bios-upgrade.

    Thx, Ronald

    Ronald, Mar 4, 2005

  9. No the Web site one..

    About 6 months ago..

    My Bios is F11a, F10 is the one on there web site

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Mar 4, 2005