    tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
    after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
    back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?

    Daveman750, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Daveman750

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Voltage too high? And I don't think you will be able to digitize and
    record tv without a hell of a hardware digitizer/compressor; your CPU is
    not only slow, but has non of the extra instructions that are especially
    useful for streaming media. And then there is the question about how big
    and how fast your hard drive is.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Apr 7, 2004

  3. You're going to need lots of disk space because the K6 is not going to be
    fast enough to do any significant encoding on the fly no matter how much of
    an overclock you manage; unless you have a separate hardware MPEG encoder.
    Might help a little.
    I don't know what you mean by "good layer." What you want is the minimum
    amount that will just fill the micro gaps.

    What do you mean by "w/o Arctic Silver?" Nothing?
    It sounds like the heat isn't getting TO the heatsink. Perhaps too much
    thermal compound.

    2.8 is too high.

    David Maynard, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Daveman750

    FSAA Guest

    I had a K6-2 450 (the "newer" ones with CTX core) and an ATI All-In-Wonder
    128. I can record TV on it Ok but it was impossible to have it encode even
    Mpeg1 on the fly. Everything was done in AVI and I have to encode them
    later, needless to say with a 8GB disk at that time storage was running out
    after 1 hour of recording, which was actually fine for most shows.

    I ran Ultra-HLE (the N64 emu) with a 3dfx voodoo 2 card, and it was SLOW. I
    think the FPU was only as fast as a Pentium MMX 233, but it was OK for
    running Quake 2 with the 3dfx driver and 3dnow quake2 exe. SNES 9x ran ok
    and only slows down sometimes. I could not get Bleem (PS emu) to work at
    all.

    I heard people running K6-2 and K6-3 at 2.8v no prob, not because they want
    to but because they were using old socket 7 (not super socket 7) mobos that
    only supply 2.8 or 3.3 vcore , but I have never tried it myself, fearing
    that it will ruin my shiny new K6-2 (back then)

    FSAA, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Daveman750

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Apr 7, 2004
  6. Yes. The two big surprises one discovers when they first try video
    recording are just how HUGE raw video is and how much processing power it
    takes to encode.

    The Atari800Win emu will run 100% speed on my mobile P-II 300 so I'm sure
    your K6-2 450 could handle it.

    I overclocked a CTX core with 2.8 volts and it was glorious for the hour or
    so it survived.

    Moot point really since his isn't a CTX core and it won't post at 2.8 volts.

    David Maynard, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Daveman750

    Alan Guest

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-166&depa=1

    the 500s are worse still for overclocking
    whatever i did with my 500 i could not get to even 533 mhs with it...

    K62's are even worse at overclocking then Palmoninos are... and the
    palmonino my mate got me to overclock went about as far as the rust bucket
    round the corner!

    Alan, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Daveman750

    ?uzzled Guest

    I got my K6-2 350 running stable at 450Mhz (4.5 X 100) with 2.8v going
    across it. :p

    ?uzzled, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Daveman750

    Alan Guest

    I got my K6-2 350 running stable at 450Mhz (4.5 X 100) with 2.8v going
    well that was just my findings...
    my motherboard mine was on was shit beyond recognition...
    compaq shit thing

    no voltage adjustment tinker or fiddle could will that POS to 550mhz

    give it its due tho... it was 100% rock solid at stock speed

    alan

    Alan, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Start lapping.... it's a labor of love and it'll really help to level the
    spreader, which as you noted are ever, ever flat.
    Whay more cooling!

    It's been quite some time now that I've fooled with k6's. But they like to
    be kept cool too. Everything you described above points to over heating.
    Lap the dog out of the processor and then the heat sink.

    Have fun.
    Instant over heating? Maybe it's not a valid vcc option?

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
    This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
    html.
    9:19am up 34 days, 10:32, 2 users, load average: 2.49, 2.48, 2.51

    Jerry McBride, Apr 10, 2004
  11. Daveman750

    dick Guest

    I beleave anything above a 266 mhz was a K6-2. CTX started with 350mhz but
    you would be best off with a K6-3 450MHZ, mine ran at 622 on a FIC 503+ and
    is still runing as a network
    server in an ACE hardware store at 500.

    dick, Apr 10, 2004
  12. There is a 300MHz 'plain' K6 too. They came in two core types: the lower
    speed versions with 2.8V to 3.2V core and the 'model 7' .25 micron 2.2V core.

    AMD-K6
    Processor
    Data Sheet
    20695H/0—March 1998

    21 Ordering Information

    AMD-K6-233ANR 321-pin CPGA
    3.1V–3.3V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C
    AMD-K6-200ALR 321-pin CPGA
    2.755V–3.045V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C
    AMD-K6-166ALR 321-pin CPGA
    2.755V–3.045V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C

    42 Ordering Information
    Standard AMD-K6® Processor Model 7 Products

    AMD-K6/300AFR 321-pin CPGA
    2.1V–2.3V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C
    AMD-K6/266AFR 321-pin CPGA
    2.1V–2.3V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C
    AMD-K6/233AFR 321-pin CPGA
    2.1V–2.3V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C
    AMD-K6/200AFR 321-pin CPGA
    2.1V–2.3V (Core)
    3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
    0°C–70°C
    You sure that isn't a K6-III+? Those are .18 micron (mobile) cores and will
    do 600+ but the 'regular' K6-III were still .25 micron and the one I had
    wouldn't go over 500.

    David Maynard, Apr 10, 2004
  13. Daveman750

    dick Guest

    Yes, mine was a K6-III+ 450 @ 622 REPORTED but 5.5 X 112 MHZ FSB.
    I stand corrected

[...]

    and

    dick, Apr 14, 2004
  14. Ah. Makes sense.

    I asked because that would make a big difference if someone were looking to
    buy one in anticipation of doing the same.

    David Maynard, Apr 14, 2004
  15. Yup -- the plus versions are still "kickass" ; but you have to do
    the research--
    right mobo; right BIOS ; right VCC ; good memory

    doing this on a III+450 running at 600 <g>

    R. Asby Dragon, May 9, 2004