Old M/B and new Power Supply problems with 12V power connector

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by jagemail, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. jagemail

    jagemail Guest

    Hi,
    I have roughly 3/4 year old PIII Gateway PC with a standard Power
    supply (ATX).
    I recently got myself a new silent power supply for this PC but the
    motherboards power signal connector is different on this Power supply
    to what I have on my original power supply.
    My current power supply has the standard 3 pin type connector that goes
    on the motherboard but the new Power supply has a square 4 pin type.

    So my questions are:
    Have I explained my self well or I need to give more details?
    Have I bought wrong Power Supply?
    Is there a way around this - like getting an adaptor or something?

    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    J Mann

    jagemail, Oct 10, 2005

  2. jagemail

    Jack Guest

    My guess is the 3-pin connector is to control the fan speed in the power
    supply. The new power supply probably does not need this connection.
    If your motherboard does not a place to connect the 4-pin square connector,
    you do not need it.
    In other words, go ahead and use the new power supply!
    Jack

    Jack, Oct 10, 2005

  3. jagemail

    Ben Myers Guest

    The 4-pin square connector (with retaining clip?) sounds like a Pentium 4 12v
    power connector. Any P4 power supply will operate just fine with an older ATX
    system.

    The only drawback of the replacement power supply might be that its fan cannot
    be throttled or shut down when the system is running cool. That's the usual
    purpose of a 3-wire fan lead on a power supply. So the replacement power supply
    will be noisier overall... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 10, 2005