    I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information. I'm
    guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd like
    to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?

    Justin, May 2, 2011

  2. Justin

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    It is probably under the keyboard. Here is how to remove the keyboard.

    http://global-download.gateway.com/...id=634303064355822144&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NX
    SERIES&Step3=NX510&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G

    Or this one:

    http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3182

    Either manual tells you how to remove the keyboard. Sorry I could not
    find the part number. And what is nice about all of these Gateways MA1
    through MA7 is that a lot of parts can be shared between them. And the
    CMOS battery is probably the same among them all.

    Say did you try charging the CMOS battery first? Most laptops (I don't
    know about these), you need to have the laptop up and running. And after
    12 to 24 hours later, see if the CMOS battery is now holding a charge.
    If it is, you are good to go.

    Some old Toshiba laptops at least (I don't know about others), you had
    to have the screen lit before the CMOS battery would charge. So if the
    screen was turned off and the computer was still running, the CMOS
    battery will not be charged. So disable turning off the screen under the
    power options.

    BillW50, May 3, 2011

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Thanks, I'll check that out.
    I had the laptop sitting around for about four months, unplugged and
    completely dead. Then I had it plugged in for a few days as I was
    trying to diagnose it.

    Justin, May 4, 2011