Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Bill Barker, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Bill Barker

    Bill Barker Guest

    Please help!

    I posted this last week to a coupla dozen newsgroups, but never saw
    my original
    message pop up, so I'm trying again.

    I have an ASUS P5A-B mobo with the latest BIOS installed (1105).
    It has an AMD-K6-2/500AFX processor. All mobo jumpers are correct for
    this CPU.
    It's maxed on memory (768Mb).
    I put in an old WD 20Gb HD & installed Win98SE.

    It intermittently locks up (must power cycle to clear).
    When I shutdown, it either:
    1) hangs at "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen; or
    2) reboots.

    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Bill Barker

    Bill Barker, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Bill Barker

    Bullet Guest

    Try removing memory from 3rd socket. Have had problems using all three
    on this and other boards.

    Bullet, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Blurb from a web page:

    Windows 98 Will Not Shut Down

    "Windows 98 is shutting down" is the message on your screen, but instead
    of shutting down, it freezes. Sometimes this is caused by a program you
    have been running, and sometimes it is caused by bugs in Windows 98 itself.
    What can you do? Windows might not have been able to "quit" a program that
    you were running earlier, so "Ctrl-Alt-Del" and say "End Task" for all programs
    except Explorer and Systray. Now try to shut down again, if that fixes your
    problem, you'll know that your software is the culprit ... simply reinstall the
    software that is the problem.

    If this doesn't fix your problem, you might have "Fast Shutdown" enabled.
    To disable it, click on Start/Run, then type "msconfig" then OK. Click on
    General tab, then Advanced. Put a check in the "Disable Fast Shutdown"
    box, the OK, and OK again.
    Microsoft's page:

    Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238096

    MasterBlaster, Jan 4, 2005