Old P1's and old Xpert video card help needed

Discussion in 'ATI' started by pjp, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. pjp

    pjp Guest

    I have four older pc's around the house used by my kids etc. for word
    processing and simpler games. A P90, P120, Cyrix 120 all clones and a IBM
    P100.

    I came across a used old pci based Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI video card that's
    actually listed under displays.txt as one that would work for dual display
    to use alongside my Radeon 7200. It worked no problem, only needing the 98SE
    cd for appropriate driver. Also has the benifit that it not being a 3d
    accelerated card means it doesn't need or use any IRQ (which the Xpert
    always shared with the Radeon, couldn't stop it doing that no matter what!).

    That's allowed me to pull the old Xpert98 I was previously using out of the
    system and I can finally update drivers etc. for the Radeon without it
    screwing up because of the second ATI card in the system.

    My question concerns this old Xpert98.

    The only older pc that seems to want to power up the card (as the only card
    in system) is the IBM (which already has a Xpert??? in it). The display is
    "dead" with no signal to the monitor when the card is put in any of the
    other listed pc's.

    I was hoping to put it in the P120, replacing a non-accelerated card so it'd
    be spruced up at least a bit.

    What don't I know that I should about this? Anyone with any insight into
    this?

    tia, pjp

    pjp, Apr 19, 2004

  2. There are probably either BIOS settings that have to be made or, even
    trickier, some jumpers that would need to be reconfigured for the older
    boards to use the card.

    Jim

    Jim in Canada, Apr 20, 2004

  3. pjp

    Rick Guest

    If the Expert98 has a "VGA IRQ" jumper on it, make sure it is enabled. I
    know ATI did this with some of their cards at the time.

    bye, Rick

    Rick, Apr 20, 2004