Old XPS-R, Lost CD Drive and Tape Drive

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Guest, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a very old Dimension XPS-R.

    A couple of weeks ago it stopped finding the
    Colorado tape drive, then a week later the
    CD light started flashing, and does not show
    up in the hardware profile (win 98).

    At first rebooting would bring back the tape
    drive, then turning off would bring it back.
    Now nothing works.

    I fear a warm up fault on the motherboard.

    Do the CD drive and the tape drive share any
    pathways?

    Any ideas for trouble shooting?

    Or just head to the scrap pile?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Colorado tape drive is attached to either the floppy diskette drive cable or
    the IDE drive cable. Open up the case and find out. If the tape drive is
    failed or failing and it is attached to the IDE cable, its failure could cause
    the system to not recognize the IDE drive... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ben Myers writes:

    Ben> The Colorado tape drive is attached to either the floppy diskette drive cable or
    Ben> the IDE drive cable. Open up the case and find out. If the tape drive is
    Ben> failed or failing and it is attached to the IDE cable, its failure could cause
    Ben> the system to not recognize the IDE drive... Ben Myers

    I believe the tape drive is ide.

    Replace cost for the drive is more than the old
    box is worth.

    But it will be nice to get the cd drive back.

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 9, 2005
  4. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Disconnect power and data cables from the tape drive, and set the jumper on the
    CD-ROM drive to the master position. Attach the CD-ROM drive to the last
    position (furthest away from motherboard connector) on the IDE ribbon cable, and
    the CD-ROM drive should be good to go.

    I never placed a lot of faith in the cheap Colorado tape drives, myself.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ben Myers writes:

    Ben> Disconnect power and data cables from the tape drive, and set the jumper on the
    Ben> CD-ROM drive to the master position. Attach the CD-ROM drive to the last
    Ben> position (furthest away from motherboard connector) on the IDE ribbon cable, and
    Ben> the CD-ROM drive should be good to go.

    I'll give it a try this weekend.

    Ben> I never placed a lot of faith in the cheap Colorado tape drives, myself.

    It was very reliable for 7 years, which is not bad for something
    with moving parts.

    Guest, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the CD-ROM drive still does not work, replacements are cheap and easy to
    install. CD-RW and various DVD combo devices have drive CD-ROM prices way
    down... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 10, 2005