    to be able to back up to the new drive).

    The BIOS settings shows that the slave is not present.

    How can I have her modify the BIOS so that it will detect the drive?

    Tim Hurley, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Tim Hurley

    Ben Myers Guest

    First, the easiest, and perhaps the only, way to add a second hard drive is to
    install an add-in 3rd party disk controller card with its own built-in disk
    BIOS. If the computer really is a 386, or even a 486, you'll need to search for
    an ISA bus card. These are very hard to find. You may spend more time to find
    the card than the computer itself is worth.

    A 386 is almost like a gift to ones worst enemy these days. If you are anywhere
    near Harvard, MA, give a call, come on by and I'll sell you a working $10
    Pentium system. I've been scrapping them for about $10 worth of electronic
    scrap, because I can't sell them any more around here... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 28, 2003

  3. It sounds like she doesn't have the jumpers set properly. Some HPs require both
    drives be set to "CS" or cable select, and a cable select cable used. Other
    computers use the master/slave jumper settings and a pass through cable...

    Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr., Jun 28, 2003