    with older Macs? Obviously you can't use OSX with an old
    8500/120, but (for example) would OS7 run noticeably
    faster on it than OS9?

    maron, Jul 21, 2003

  2. maron

    Bill Guest

    Remember 7.5.2 which shipped with the first PCI Macs? You want to talk
    about buggy; that OS and the subsequent updates until they got to 7.5.5
    makes OS 10.2x look like heaven. I was ready to throw my 7200
    (literally) out the window when an Apple update (7.5.3.867539 or
    something like that) wiped out my ability to print to my Stylewriter
    2400. My son had to actually stop me from tossing it.

    Bill

    Bill, Jul 21, 2003

  3. maron

    Peter KERR Guest

    maron asked:
    Simple rule of thumb (wait for the thousand contras...)

    68k Mac - OS 7.1
    NuBus Mac - OS 8.1
    PCI Mac - OS 9.1

    Note that there are min & max hardware limits for each OS,
    and min & max OS limits for each machine.
    The arguments on these should keep this thread going
    far longer than it deserves...

    Peter KERR, Jul 21, 2003
  4. maron

    maron Guest

    What about OS 8.1 then? Was that stable enough to use?
    What I have now is OS9.1 and it seems sluggish on
    this old computer.

    The alternative would be to upgrade to a faster processor,
    but I have no idea how to do that on a Mac.

    maron, Jul 21, 2003
  5. maron

    Brian Carlin Guest

    Yes. Usually an older Mac works best with the OS that it came with,
    originally. They were designed to work together. Of course I would
    be tempted to upgrade to the latest OS that will work, because I'd
    want certain features, such as AppleScript.

    A database of old Macs, production dates, and the range of OS releases
    that can be used with them are available at:
    http://lowendmac.com/

    Scroll down and see the links on the right side to get to the Mac
    models that interest you.

    Brian Carlin, Jul 21, 2003
  6. yes, it's rather stable; probably less stable than a UNIX system like OS
    X though.

    Georg Schwarz, Jul 21, 2003
  7. I would like to add that I ran OS 7.6.1 on a Performa 631CD with
    20 MB RAM and was quite stable for me. A friend still has that old
    beast of ours up and running.

    Ron Bardo <>

    Ron or Midgie Bardo, Jul 22, 2003
  8. maron

    maron Guest

    I keep a copy of OS 8.1 on my 8500 and it screams compared to OS 9.1.
    Really, it is sooo much faster it is like twice the processor speed.[/QUOTE]

    Interesting.
    Do you know what OS 9.1 added that made it so much slower?
    Thanks for the information.
    I'm saving your message for future reference.

    maron, Jul 26, 2003
  9. Interesting.
    Do you know what OS 9.1 added that made it so much slower?[/QUOTE]

    Not really. Just that OS 9.x is much more resource-intensive. As an
    example, OS 8 was written with 16 MB as the minimum required, and 32
    recommended, while OS 9 doubles that.
    Glad to help.

    Phil Lefebvre, Jul 29, 2003