    but I'd like to try to fix it myself if this is at all possible to get the
    rest of its life out of it.

    thx

    BlueRinse, Jan 31, 2004

  2. BlueRinse

    Quaoar Guest

    Is it the screen or the hinges? Many laptops' hinges loosen over time,
    not in the hinge itself, but in the bracket that holds the hinge to the
    case and the result is a floppy screen. Sometimes the bracket can be
    accessed by removing the hinge cover. Open the screen as flat as
    possible to expose the top of the hinge cover. If there is a seam in
    the cover near the top of the arc, the hinge cover might just pop off
    exposing the hinge bracket screws. The Omnibook might be a different
    design, but it's worth a look since it is easy to make the fix.

    Quaoar, Feb 1, 2004

  3. BlueRinse

    BlueRinse Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the hinges and they are not made
    that way. I also looked more carefully at the problem and see that the
    screw that fell out did so because the metal piece holding it has broken.
    It looks like the screw, when in place holds the screen frame front plate
    (whatever that's called) AND keeps the thing from flopping over.

    I'll have to try to find some kind of kludge to try to keep the parts
    together for a few years :(

    BlueRinse, Feb 1, 2004
  4. BlueRinse

    Quaoar Guest

    Duct tape. It's called the "bezel". Some say it to rhyme with
    "weasel". You might try eBay for parts. There seem to be parts for
    most everything computer, some of which really work!

    Quaoar, Feb 1, 2004
  5. BlueRinse

    BlueRinse Guest

    You're right! My English has degraded since Bush was not elected :)

    BlueRinse, Feb 1, 2004