    Is there something I am missing?

    Is there an answer?

    Am I even in the right NG to even ask?

    Zentraleinheit, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    Have you switched on the pre amp?

    In the sound control panel switch on ADVANCED controls via the FILE menu
    then hit the advanced button on the mic input slider control and check the
    20db boost box then adjust bass and treble.

    Does this help?

    Ginchy, Dec 29, 2005

  3. check the 20db boost box

    My seems to only offer 1db boost
    There grayed out
    No - except that with the boost box is un checked there is no more humming
    being recoreded. Now there is no sound at being recorded as all.

    Zentraleinheit, Dec 29, 2005
  4. UPDATE

    After some fooling around I pluged my Microphone into the "Line-IN" socket.

    It (kind of) works.

    If I select "line-in," and slide the control all the way up in Recording
    Control, I can record. But unless I shout the recording is week.

    I can also record if I select "mono mix" or "stereo mix" But, while I don't
    have to shout as loud to get a recording, there is a backround buzz.

    Also, when it come to hearing audio in general, I found that if I change the
    "environment" setting in the Sound Effect manager in control panel I get
    somewhat louder audio.

    So, Now that I have something, is there a way to make it better?

    Zentraleinheit, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    What kind of microphone is it? Its not a "balanced" mic is it because that
    would display the symptoms you get as you are plugging into an unbalanced
    input.

    Just a thought!

    Ginchy, Jan 5, 2006
  6. What kind of microphone is it?

    It a Labtec AM-22.
    get as you are plugging into an unbalanced input.

    I Have no idea- I'll have to look it up

    I assume that by "unbalance input" you mean the "line-in" jack.

    And BTW what is a "balance" mic?

    I have never run into any recording problems on my old ISA 8-bit sound card.

    Zentraleinheit, Jan 5, 2006
  7. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    A balanced mic is a mic with an extra "earth" wire normally used in pro
    recording

    If its a cheap mic with just a 3.5mm jack on the end then its probably
    unbalanced but if it has a quarter inch jack plug on it then it could be
    wired "balanced" and would cause the problems you mention

    If you have no other mic to test then you can use a pair of headphones to
    test...just plug the headphones into the mic socket and talk into the
    headset speakers

    If it sounds a lot louder than your mic then its the mic thats the problem!

    Have you tired using 3rd party recording software instead of windows stuff
    to record?

    Like cool edit pro now called adobe audition

    or if not try acoustica.com and download the free trial of their "mp3 mixer"
    software and try that

    all the sockets on your soundcard are unbalanced!

    Ginchy, Jan 8, 2006
  8. If its a cheap mic with just a 3.5mm jack on the end

    Its Maybe just me, but, $9.99 is not cheap :), but, it does have a 3.5mm
    jack.
    test...

    I can't find my headphones, but, I did plug the Mic into my laptop computer.

    No problems - A got a full rich recording.
    to record?

    In place of Windows own "Sound Recorder" I have used the sound chip makers
    (realtek) own recorder, and others from Willow Pond, Nero, and ACID.

    They are all the same, unless the Mic is in the "Line-in" jack and that
    "line-in" in checked in "recording control," I either get nothing or static.

    Maybe I should try to get batteries for my speaker? For while week the
    recording(s) made sound clear.

    While in the past I did not need to have them powered to use them, maybe the
    design of the MB's audio chip make a power speaker necessary.

    And, if this is of any additional help, I find that nothing is listed as
    being connected under the "connector sensing" tab of the AC97 Audio
    Configuration Manager Application in Control Panel .

    If I try to run "connection setting" by clicking on Start. I get a message
    to "please stop other audio applications before starting." Then when I click
    "OK" a other window called ALSNDMGR appears with the message "Initialzation
    failed!"

    I hope that you, or someone in cyberspace" can find an answer.

    Zentraleinheit, Jan 10, 2006
  9. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    I had a look on google and the general opinion is that the mic input on pcs
    is just crap.

    What you would be better doing is plug the mic into something else that has
    line outs like a video recorder or a cassette recorder etc and then run the
    signal via line out to line in on the pc.

    That way your mic is getting a certain amount of pre amplification and would
    sound the way you wanted.

    You could even run a cable out of your laptop and into your pc!

    Oh and your mic will not be at fault because it will be unbalanced. He he
    the PLUG on a balanced mic would probably cost more than $9.99

    :eek:)

    Ginchy, Jan 11, 2006
  10. and the general opinion is that the mic input on pcs is just crap.

    Does that go for all PC's or just those with on board audio?

    For, as I said before, I had NO problem when I used this Mic with my old ISA
    8-bit sound card.
    would sound the way you wanted.

    Is that the same as "turning on" the Mic boost under Microphone's Advance
    button ?

    For it it is all that does is turn up the static.

    I also been asking this same question to Chaintech. In there wisdom (and
    after 2 week) there grand answer was:

    "Suggest use with the Windows 2000 or Windows XP try again"

    I told them that I had time to make Mr. Gates a little bit richer :)))

    Then thay came back saying that I must make sure that Microphone is selected
    in Recording Property!

    I don't think I'm THAT dumb.

    BTW what do you think about the problem of when I go to the "connector
    sensing" tab of the AC97 Audio Configuration Manager Application in Control
    Panel. I find that nothing is listed as being connected

    And If I try to run "connection setting" by clicking on Start. I get a
    message to "please stop other audio applications before starting." Then when
    I click "OK" a other window called ALSNDMGR appears with the message
    "Initialzation failed

    I am just wondering that on some strange level of Computer Hell that my
    problem can be put down to the computer not "seeing" the Microphone?

    It would not be that strange, for when I first turn on the new motherboard
    it did not notice that I had a ATI video card for a week. And then only
    after reinstalling Windows.

    Zentraleinheit, Jan 11, 2006
  11. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    Tell you what you could try

    1. Uninsstall ALL the audio software incl drivers and any software that came
    with the soundcard
    2. Reinstall the driver only by using device manager to look for the driver
    on the disc
    3. Then use ONLY 3rd party software

    I use an Audigy card and when their own software is loaded it takes over in
    the sense that if I am using cool edit pro to record and the levels are low
    i have to open the audigy`s own recorder software and turn the levels up on
    that before i have any control in cool edit.

    That should not happen as cool edit should directly access the soundcards
    volume but it does!!!!

    Ginchy, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    Probably.....I think they asume if you want to do a lot of recording by mic
    you will buy a proper soundcard
    yes like all stuff they were great "at first" my old chaintech board from 99
    a bx440 has the best onboard sound I ever heard but these days its none too
    good on any boards I have heard
    No it will be FAR superior

    Is this the case even when you have a mic connected? It doesnt mean the
    sound "input" socket is not connected it means that no "external" devices
    are connected
    YEP that DOES sound like a software problem
    heres another thing........I have had the problem on many soundcards where i
    could only get sound from one channel because the actual pin on the 3.5mm
    jack wasnt long enbough to make a full connection into the socket...using a
    different plug slightly longer would cure it!!!??? It was a "common" thing
    at the time!
    That could be a faulty install on windows maybe due to the cd rom not
    reading the disc correctly....again I have come across incompatibility
    between cd roms and dvd roms which wont play discs recorded on differnt
    machines because the lasers were calibrated slightly different on the 2
    cd/dvd roms!

    maybe you need a new install disc? or try loading it from a different cd rom
    or dvd rom

    Ginchy, Jan 12, 2006
  13. 2. Reinstall the driver only by using device manager to look for the driver
    on the disc

    I did try somthing along those lines, but, the drivers will not install
    without Realtec own audio player.

    Plus, when I manually use device manager to point to every folder\file on
    the CD. The reply each time was that "no drivers are present."

    Also, In one last test, I made a recording to a Floppy and played in on my
    laptop. Then I made a recording on my laptop and played it on the desktop.

    The recording from the desktop (using line-in) was weak and strachy, but,
    hearable.

    The recording form the laptop was clear and somewhat stronger then its
    desktop version.

    However, in the end, I have given up.

    Even downloading new drivers has not worked.

    So, I am looking for a new sound card.

    But, what ever happen to the "simple" ones?

    All I need is Mic-in / Line-in /Line-Out / Speaker-out/ jacks and an
    internal CD connector.

    All this Bull about multi-channel/Digital/ audio does not interest me at
    all.

    As long as I can hear it - its OK by me.

    Zentraleinheit, Jan 13, 2006
  14. Zentraleinheit

    Ginchy Guest

    I wonder if this would work.

    Uninstall all drivers and software and then do a windows update and see if
    the card is recognised and a driver provided?

    Maybe you tried that?

    A simple soundblaster card would be ideal for you......try and get a
    soundblaster live .... a CT4810 or 4830 are both good cards and can be
    picked up on ebay for peanuts. Its much better to have a seperate card
    anyway as you are then using less sytem resources.

    If you were in the uk I could have sent you one but I assume you are in usa
    as you talked in $$$

    Ginchy, Jan 13, 2006