    Loser Guest

    I want to put in a new sound card, how do I disable the onboard sound?
    Tks.....

    Loser, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Loser

    Gummy Mummy Guest

    There should be a setting in the BIOS. Integrated Audio. Turn it off.

    Gummy Mummy, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Loser

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    Removing the drivers for the onboard sound before you disable it would
    be a good idea. When you've removed the drivers, restart and enter Dell
    system setup. From there you should be able to disable the sound. I
    think the option to disable the onboard sound on most systems is
    labeled as "onboard AC'97 audio" or something similar.

    If you can't disable the onboard sound, leave its drivers in place and
    simply install the new card per the instructions that came with it.
    Then go into the Windows multimedia control panel and pick the new card
    as the "preferred device" for recording and playback. Also choose to
    "use preferred devices only" so no sound will end up going through the
    onboard audio.

    William...

    wm_walsh, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Loser

    S.Lewis Guest

    *Also note that if you purchase a (non-Dell) retail PCI audio card, you may
    possibly lose front audio jack/headphone function. Earlier Dell systems had
    a proprietary cable that connected directly to any PCI audio card to provide
    the front audio function, and retail cards did not have such a connector.

    However....

    If I recall correctly, the 23XX/24XX/3XXX/46XX/47XX boxes have a two cabled
    system that has ONE plug that connects directly to the motherboard for both
    USB and front audio function. It could be that this design might work with a
    PCI audio card for front audio function, but I haven't verified it.

    Further, you might not give a flyin' crap about headphone function.

    Anyone tried this and gotten it to work?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Dec 27, 2006