On screen keyboard is blank window

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. I have a tablet PC (HP Pavillion tx1000z) which has a blank onscreen
    keyboard at the login screen, when I press ctrl/alt/del, and when I
    enable the tablet pc input panel. I have googled the problem and tried
    the following:

    - I have made sure that the US keyboard is installed in regional and
    language options.

    - While in there, I also verified that

    Tablet PC Correction
    Tablet PC Correction for Windows Journal
    Tablet PC Text Insertion.

    show up under advanced text services.

    - I have tried registering (regsvr32) inkobj.dll and tpcps.dll from the
    c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ink directory in the
    commend prompt.

    - I have uninstalled the tablet PC experience pack from Microsoft.

    - I have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, and updated dot net framework.

    - I do not and never had tweak xp installed as I understand the xmouse
    component could sometimes cause this problem.

    - I also understand that installing sp2 could cause this problem, but
    this install of tablet pc edition already has sp2 integrated so I don't
    think that is the problem.

    I have found but not tried the fix at the link below:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc/
    browse_thread/thread/7c18130bb21983f7/3dd7a12e2f64c865?hl=en&lnk=
    st&q=on+screen+keyboard+blank+problem+tablet+pc+edition#3dd7a12e2f64c865

    I'm not too sure I understand it because it looks like directions from a
    developer. If anyone can shed some light on the above procedure it
    would be much appreciated.

    Otherwise, I'm open to trying anything I have not yet tried to fix this
    problem.

    I am running XP tablet PC edition 2005 with SP2 and all critical
    security updates installed.

    Thanks.

    --
    "Fair use is not merely a nice concept--it is a federal law based on
    free speech rights under the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of the

    The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly , Nov 28, 2007

  2. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Ted V Guest

    I too am having what seems like the same problem. The TIP has the handwriting
    pages but when I try to click on the keyboard option, there is a blank screen
    where the keyboard use to be. It started on Nov. 22, right after a Windows
    update. I have also tried the same things and I have not had any luck. I am
    running a Motion LE1600 Tablet, with XP Tablet 2005, SP2. The only other
    thing that I can think of is to reformat and reinstall the OS, but I haven't
    had the time to do so. I would be grateful for any help.
    Thanks,
    Ted

    Ted V, Dec 6, 2007

  3. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Chris H Guest

    The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly , Dec 7, 2007
  5. Does anyone know which update is the culprit? <<

    I'd like to know as well... at this point, updates for me are off until
    this is documented.

    Thanks for the restorepoint date.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Dec 7, 2007
  6. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Ted V Guest

    I tried that and it won't restore. I have been worried that my tablet might
    have caught something, but McAfee and Defender are right up to date.

    Ted V, Dec 7, 2007
  7. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Ted V Guest

    I just looked back in my Day Timer and found that I was off by a week. (It
    happened while I was out of town on buiness, so I know the date is right now.)
    Here are the updates:
    Windows XP
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007

    Office 2003
    Update for Outlook Junk Email Filter 2003 (KB943552)
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007

    Windows XP
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - November 2007 (KB890830)
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007

    I don't know for sure that one of these caused the problem, but when I
    turned on the Tablet the next morning, I did not get the TIP pop up at the
    log in screen. I had to connect a keyboard to type in my password. Since then
    the computer had been slow booting and shuting down, and of course, no
    keyboard on the TIP.
    Thanks,
    Ted

    Ted V, Dec 7, 2007
  8. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Chris H Guest

    I've installed those exact same updates on three (maybe four) Tablet PCs
    here and haven't had the issue you're seeing. I would run a thorough
    antivirus scan of your system. BTW - You know running two different AV
    programs will hinder the computer more than giving it additional protection?
    They end up fighting over who has control, especially McAfee (or Norton).
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Dec 7, 2007
  9. When I get a moment, I will check... just declined a November XP
    security update but didn't note the kb number.

    Fwiw, have never accepted the malicious software tool although it's
    pushed in my face on every update ;-)

    Thanks,

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Dec 7, 2007
  10. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Ted V Guest

    Thanks Chris. I've done full scans and they have turned up nothing. As for
    the two AV programs, Windows Defender is not an AV, but a Spyware program.

    Ted V, Dec 7, 2007
  11. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    LynneA Guest

    My keyboard display has gone blank too. I did a system restore back to
    mid-November with no luck. Also edited the Regional Settings as suggested
    with no luck. I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

    LynneA, Dec 11, 2007
  12. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    LynneA Guest

    After the most recent Microsoft updates installed, the keyboard display
    magically reappeared. Strange, but true...

    LynneA, Dec 11, 2007
  13. Viewsonic v1250S
    Windows XP Professional Tablet PC Edition

    I had been experiencing the same thing at about the same time from ovember
    to present. And to date, I had to use System Restore to get things back to
    normal and get back my tablet pc input panel back. However it's still blank,
    but I am hopeful that it can be troubleshooted and corrected soon on a
    cleaner machine.

    My Anti-Spyware scan found 35 infected registry files identified as
    Downloaders and Remote Control Software. I felt suspicous and went to
    Control Panel/User Accounts and see if there was an additional user icon. I
    found it and deleted it. I was able to save my documents on my CD Disk
    whereas before, I was not able to do that.

    I eliminated what I believe was the potential cause of my input panel being
    blank, but I could be very wrong. For damage control I need to repair, or
    redownload the tablet pc input panel if there is one. I need help badly. Is
    there a download site for that?

    Can you help me please?

    Meghan-Louise

    Meghan-Louise, Jan 6, 2008
  14. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Ted V Guest

    I think I found it. I tried to install another program and it wouldn't work.
    I talked to the company that made the program and they weren't sure, but
    asked me to check a file in the .Net folders. I figured that I would do a
    repair the install, but it wouldn't. So, I removed .Net Version 2 and
    downloaded a new copy from Microsoft. I reinstalled the .Net package and the
    program started to work. What does this have to do with the TIP? Low and
    behold, the next time I rebooted, the on screen TIP keyboard was back!!!!! It
    looks like the .Net files had gotten corrupted in some whay. I don't know if
    it had to do with the Windows Update or not, but seeing as it failed on the
    reboot from the update, I am wondering. Things that make you go Hmmmmmm......

    Ted V, Jan 7, 2008
  17. The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

    Steven Wabik Guest

    it may not be an update that it causing the issue at this point. try running
    "sfc /scannow". that command should fix any currupt issues. however the
    operating system CD or DVD may be required while this command is running.
    good luck with using windows file protection to fix this. i had a similar
    issue and it fixed it for me.

    oh by the way, trying to uninstall updates in order to fix an issue will
    never help in my opinion. i'm saying that because if you are trying to track
    1 update out of 150 and get rid of it; getting rid of that update might have
    unwanted side effects even if you get rid of the right one. then its even
    more work.

    from,
    Steven Wabik

    Steven Wabik, Feb 8, 2008