    seconds. I have to unplug the computer for a few seconds then it
    starts up again normally. If I shut down my computer and restart
    within a few minutes it starts normally.

    Sparky, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Sparky

    ICee Guest

    How about a little more info, like the make/model MB, CPU, etc., etc.

    ICee, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Sparky

    TomG Guest

    there can be many causes of this but one is to check the bios for a CPU fan
    detection setting and if it is enabled, disable it.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Sparky

    h2so4 Guest

    I had identical problems that I'm fairly certain were caused by the
    combination of a long power cable, a loose ATX socket and a tight fit in the
    case. A small movement caused the ATX plug to move in the socket and
    interferfering with the contact on the 12v (yellow) line. This resulted in
    sparking and loss of contact, hence the system would power down. This would
    sometimes cause the system to power down after a few seconds and
    occasionally after a couple of hours. Initially, I too could get the system
    up and running again by turning the power off to the system and restarting.

    Have a look at your ATX power connection. You might also look for any sign
    of scorching on the white plastic surround of the 12v power line.

    h2so4, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    It was the fan check in bios that was causing this problem. Worked
    fine for about 18 months then this 2 second shut off issue. Thanks
    all for the help..

    Sparky, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Sparky

    TomG Guest

    it is possible, but not absolute, that your CPU fan is just getting a little
    slow to start up or something like that...

    TomG, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    It's a high end turbo cooling fan running at about 3100 rpm for a ~40C
    temp. It will run up to 5500 rpm but makes a racket at that speed.
    At 5500 rpm cpu temp runs about 32C but I don't overclock so 40C is
    within tolerance for an AMD 2100+. One thing for me to try in the
    future is to turn the fan rpm up and restart the computer. Right now
    the problem is solved so "I no-a touch-a nothing."

    Thanks again for your tip!

    Sparky, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Sparky

    TomG Guest