Onboard LAN: what is the use of the boot ROM?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Peltio, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. Peltio

    Peltio Guest

    Hi, there

    I've just installaed the LAN drivers for my GA-8IEXP mobo. It has a doble
    entry in the BIOS: one to enable the onboard LAN chip (and that is enabled,
    of course) and one to enable the LAN boot ROM.

    What does the latter do?
    I had hoped that it wuold have sped up the booting of the PC (it is
    soooooooo slow now that I've enabled the LAN) but it was not so.

    Should I leave it on, or...

    cheers,
    Peltio
    the manual says nothing about bios settings
    The only manual with the advanced bios setting I have is for the 8irxp and
    has nothing about integrated LAN. : (

    Peltio, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Peltio

    Peltio Guest

    Never mind, I guess I've found it out myself.
    It is used to allow the boot of the PC from the network.
    Nomen omen... : )

    cheers,
    Peltio

    Peltio, Nov 10, 2004