    onboard SoundMax chip, and could get the mixing latency down to 10 ms, which
    is _almost_ as good as I need...

    Thanks id advance!

    jackson marshmallow, May 12, 2004

  2. jackson marshmallow

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Onboard sound chipsets are on the PCI bus. The speed of sound cards should not vary much when using one or two channels since all they need to do is convert between digital and analog. If you are using MIDI or surround sound then there is a lot more processing involved. The mixing speed depends on other things, such as your application and processor speed.

    Mike Walsh, May 12, 2004

  3. jackson marshmallow

    Aaron Guest

    Well, I don't know if the PCI bus is that slow, since you can run
    harddrives, etc. off of them with a controller card. Maybe there is
    something I don't know about, but it seems to me that all top quality
    PCI cards work well, so probably a $20-$50 card will suffice for you.
    I don't know why you want an integrated sound solution, other than the
    cost factor.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 12, 2004
  4. jackson marshmallow

    DaveW Guest

    Onboard sound actually has more lag than a separate soundcard. The onboard
    audio chip shares CPU cycles with the rest of the hardware in the computer,
    unlike a separate sound card which has its own audio processing unit and so
    doesn't draw down the CPU speed.

    DaveW, May 13, 2004
  5. jackson marshmallow

    Jay Lyman Guest

    I've Heard that the nforce2 chipset supports really decent 5.1 sound
    if your looking for an AMD socket A motherboard, if not a separate
    sound card is always nice, I recommend Creative Labs Audigy2 zs.

    Jay Lyman, May 13, 2004
  6. jackson marshmallow

    JAYMZ B Guest

    My asrock K7S8X was good till i broke it.. btw its for athlon processors.

    JAYMZ B, May 14, 2004