One driver for all live based cards !!

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Mike, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have 3 sb 128 cards with different chipsets, every one of those has it's
    own windows driver cd, and the card works with only with it's own driver in
    windows. BUT !!!!!! I also use Linux a lot and all these different cards
    work flawlessly under one driver (es1371) under linux !!!!!! This tells
    something about the way creative makes its drivers.

    Today I bought one of those sb live 5.1 digital cards (sb0220). Just plugged
    it in and my Suse 8.2 Linux found the card and configured it for me. Works
    great and sounds quite good for a card this cheap ( 35 euro ). As you might
    have guessed, in Linux there is only one driver for all those emu10k1 based
    cards (standard live, player, platinum, 5.1, digital etc), and they all
    work with it.

    This makes me wonder why creative have wasted money and effort in making a
    different driver for all these cards, when clearly there is no need for it
    ?

    Is it an effort to make those cards seem like different products for the
    consumer, when they clearly are the same card. Or is there some evil scheme
    afoot :)

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Mike

    John Sommer Guest

    I think your point is justified.

    Creative should do the same thing that they do for their graphics cards (and
    indeed all other manufacturers do) and use a UDA (Unified Driver
    Architechure).
    This however would mean huge download files and complicated updates.

    So whilst a driver system like this would help the end user and make life
    easier for all of us with SB cards, Creative would have a hard time
    developing "intelligent" software and drivers which could be reguarly
    updated, maintain full software compatibility with card specific software
    and hardware and be of a sensible file size for all users to bother to
    download.

    John.

    John Sommer, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Yes :)
    But because it is possible to drive all these cards with a single driver, it
    would simplify things for creative customers, if creative distributed only
    the "unified" driver from it's website. Applications that came with the
    card are a different story. I myself have no use what so ever with any
    applications I ever got with my various soundcards, even though I sometimes
    make music with my computer. The only thing I need is a stable driver :)

    The "unified" Linux driver for live ( alsa driver snd-emu10k1-synth.o and
    snd-emu10k1.o ) is not big, the size of those two files is 120 KB. So the
    "unified" windows driver would not need to be big and bulky either :)

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Mike

    Shep© Guest

    <sigh>.You are so right.We of the Bill Gates Bastards have to suffer
    this shit :/

    Shep©, Aug 30, 2003